I think my water heater is on it's way out.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris

Reaction score
Well I went to take out my trash this evening and I noticed that my garage floor was wet so I followed the trail of water and it took me to the heater.:eek: Now with being unemployed at the moment this really sucks so who can tell me what the best heater for the buck is at the moment? I don't have much extra cash but don't want to buy junk either so whats out there.

My existing one was a 40 gallon and was made in 92 so I guess it had a good run. Would it benifit me to go larger?

Last edited:
Chris, before you throw it away, make sure it's not just the drain valve or the pressure relief valve. These can be replaced for less than $20, and might buy you some much needed time!

The water is running down one of the legs on the inside and other than that I cannot tell where it is coming from.

Also I would like to replace it because it has been having problems heating water for the last year and is 18 years old which is strange because my house is only 12.

Also where should I look for a new heater? at sears they are 369 and Lowes is 417 but I have a coupon for 10% off at Lowes. I should have a call back from my pipeline supplier in a few minutes but they are usually pricy. Anyone have anymore suggestions?

Unfortunately, just a few years ago, the prices on water heaters went up to nearly double the price. I was told this was because of CARB compliance. You can't go wrong with a new water heater purchase, especially with your 10% discount, because the new ones are really energy efficient. As far as increasing the size, unless you have added more people in your household, with more shower needs, this is wasted money. I would compare each company's warranty, their expected life of the unit, and shop smart. As far as the installation, it should take no more than an hour of your time. Also, since you live in California, spend a few bucks more and purchase a good quality "hold down" because it is mandatory for earthquake preparedness, and would be necessary when you eventually sell your house. .

Well I went out shopping and found out that at both lowes and sears they don't have the ones in stock that they are advertising (of course not) so I ended up buying one at sears since i got the price down just a tad. I spent 467 out the door for a 40 gallon, it was the only one they had in stock and the warranty sucks at only 6 years but lowes only had a 6 year in stock as well but wanted 60 bucks more. I would have been able to toss it right in but the pressure realease valve is in a totally different area and my old drain went straight into the wall so for the last hour I have been soldeiring up a new line and fixing drywall. Hopefully as long as I don't consume to many cocktails while working I should be done soon.

Did I mention I hate unexpected repairs.

Suucess! I finished up about an hour ago and am pretty happy with the results. Hot Water!

It took me about 5 hours to complete but that included tearing out the old heater, tearing out the wall and replumbing a copper line, building a new base and putting in new drywall, A trip to the store and cleanup. I couldn't be happier except the money part, total cost of materials were $511 for everything.

The only difference in the heater is that I jumped up from 34,000 BTU to 40,000 BTU.

Just remember, you could have hired a General Contractor! How did you build the base? Do you have any pictures? Years ago, I built about 5 of them, with swing open doors under it, for extra storage. I sold them during water heater installations in my neighborhood.

Last edited:
Glad I didn't hire anyone. I built the base simple out of 2x4's like previously done but no longer water logged, I slapped some drywall on to cover it for the time being but I do have a couple of old cabinet doors that will fit perfectly. All in all it was not that hard of a project and I am sure I saved a few bucks doing it myself and so far have been loving the results. Now when I turn on the hot water it comes out hot.

Latest posts

Back