I need help selecting septic system

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scheek

Reaction score
I'm building a cabin on a lake. The cabin will be about 200 feet from the water's edge. I need now to plan for a septic system and I 'm not sure of what I need.

The surrounding area is very wooded and the land topo slopes toward the lake. The cabin will be about 8' above water level. I may extract water and treat for use so I don't want to mess anything up.

From the clearing done I see that the top layer of soil is sandy to about two feet and then tough clay.

My cabin will be equivalent to a 2 bedroom.

I'm off the grid so the cabin will be powered by solar and generator.

I hope someone can help.

Get a pro to check things out for your situation. If you want to, you can do the following for your own edification and to lower the cost of a pro. You may find that you need a engineered system due to tough soil conditions and the lake.

Sand, may be a problem because it most likely is not the correct type for septic drain field use. I'm sorry to tell you that clay is even more of a problem because water will not readily drain through it.

Have you done a perk test? If not do so. It's fairly easy to do and instructions can be found on line. If you have a backhoe dig a trench 7 ft deep by 8 ft long in 2 places 15 or 20 feet apart in the area you plan to have your leaching field. See if your trench's get below the level of clay. If they do you have a shot at a normal leaching field.

Keep me informed of your progress. :)

Thanks. That's good advice. I will do the perk test.

So what to pass a perk just means that "I" can visibly see that the clay stops and sand starts. (or) do I take a sample of soil and send it somewhere?:rolleyes:

Well, you really need to go to google & search for how do i perform a leech field perk test.
It is important that you understand the instructions & follow them. It is a test to see how long it takes for a certain amount of water to drain from several holes dug in the area in your field. You can use a fence post hole digger to dig the holes. You don't send any samples out to anyone. Just look up the test online, be sure to follow the instructions. Just do 1 hole 1st if you like. There will be a table printed online which will tell you where you stand as far as good or bad drainage go's. Generally the less porous the soil is the larger your field will need to be for septic drainage.

It seems to me that you are going to need a pro's help to get a system in. What part of the country are you in?

My recomendation is for a package treatment plant, Expensive but allows you to have a much smaller leach field and less chance for problems.

I know little about septic installations, but from the sounds of your situation It doesnt sound very plausiblle, the sand and clay are bad and your high water table could also be a problem, Hire a pro and make sure they anchor the tank properly cause they can float and surface if the water table gets too high.

Are where you live and I can give you the general percolation of that area, but the only way to know for sure is to do a proper test and This type of a job ( spetic ) is not one that you want to mess with, it MUST be done properly.

My house near the lake is on a septic tank with no leach field. It works but needs to be pumped much more often.

Chris, So that tank is simply acting as a effluent storage tank with no exit?
What size is it?

Yes storage only, I don't know the size yet, I just bought the home and need to get in there and measure it. The seller was not sure.

Or your eye.... why thats a nice pink Eye you have there sonny..

Thats what she said, " ohh baby check out my Conjunctivitis " lol. :)

Back