I need help identifying this and what to do!!

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skip21

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am new here and looking for some help. Hopefully this is the correct spot for this post.

Anyways,

I was digging out a garden in my backyard and came across this. I took the lid off and it is full to the top with water. I've since put a fence around because I'm not sure how safe it is to walk on, as the lid is already breaking down. I'm hoping someone can help me identify what this is (well, septic tank, etc) and what I need to do about it? I just purchased this home in January and was not told anything about this, I never would have known about it if I didn't dig in that area.

Thanks for the help guys!

Snapchat-834584619.jpg

looks like the top of a septic system or grease trap

It may be in use or discontinued.

To me it looks like an electrical duct bank or pull station. But I doubt it since it is in your yard.

Hire a septic company to come suck it out. They might be able to tell you for sure what it is.

Is it in the area of an easement to your property? Or squarely no doubt on your property?

Looks just like the access lid on my septic tank.

Is that your house in the background ?

Take the lid off and look in there. Might be a dead body in there.

Consult your mortgage documents, there should be a reference to the septic field.

If you are on public sewer now, that is probably an abandoned tank.

Your local government might have info or records.

Ask your neighbors about their septic situation.

Thanks for the replys everyone!

This is about 3 feet from the back of my house, completely full of water. I have spoken to my neighbours and they have no idea why it would be there as this house was apparently moved here at some point in time, and there was already sewer systems in the area. I also have nothing noted about this in my mortgage documents.

Put a heavy dose of food coloring down a toilet, and see if the water in that tank changes color.

Or just pump it out yourself, so you can see what is down there.

Hiring a septic pumper to pump what might just be water might be a waste of money.

If it is an abandoned tank, you can have it filled in.

Back