I am totally fascinated...

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All of the slab on grade houses in Las Vegas, have a shutoff at the meter, and then one on the exterior before the line goes under the slab. The shutoff at the house is typically in a small valve box, with the top at ground level. Or at least it is at ground level when the building is new. They are frequently buried and hard to find, unless you are familiar with the practices of the builder who built the subdivision. And some time folks hav lost the lid, and the valve box is full of dirt.

Last edited:
All of the slab on grade houses in Las Vegas, have a shutoff at the meter, and then one on the exterior before the line goes under the slab. The shutoff at the house is typically in a small valve box, with the top at ground level. Or at least it is at ground level when the building is new. They are frequently buried and hard to find, unless you are familiar with the practices of the builder who built the subdivision. And some time folks hav lost the lid, and the valve box is full of dirt.
That’s the way it is here as well.

The plumber pipes the house and installs the cut off valve before the pipe goes under the slab outside underground usually directly under the front hose Bibb.

Inspections happen then the landscaping gets done and the valve box gets buried.

The handle rusts off because it’s typically steel, no one wants to pay for stainless.

We get more rain than most anywhere.....some years Seattle beats us out.

So 99.9 % of the time I just go straight to the water meter and turn the water off. And so do most homeowners.

Finally found the house's shutoff - it was a gate-valve hidden way behind a false ceiling. I took out panels and just kept looking. Beneath it is a plastic bowl (dry) with a note that says, 'House Shutoff'. I used it to be able to install new shutoffs for the shower.

The meter at the street is wired with an electronic pick-up. Still has a valve but I'd only use my street key in an emergency.

Finally found the house's shutoff - it was a gate-valve hidden way behind a false ceiling. I took out panels and just kept looking. Beneath it is a plastic bowl (dry) with a note that says, 'House Shutoff'. I used it to be able to install new shutoffs for the shower.

The meter at the street is wired with an electronic pick-up. Still has a valve but I'd only use my street key in an emergency.

If you turn that gate valve off there’s a chance it will not turn back on. Or the valve may not work at all.

Latest posts

Back