HW heater sizing

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulgrey

Reaction score
i have a aker swirlbath in master bath that i feel was underserved by a 50 gal gas hw heater....had to travel about 50 feet thru unheated basement and then up to 2nd floor...3/4 inch copper piping....water generally got cold before reaching top of jets....i just found the spec sheet for the whirlpool...it lists 74 gal avg oper volume...100 gal max sump capacity....this was standard builder install 17 yrs ago....what would be a desired hw htr capacity??....and would a circulating pump located in the basement just before the rise help much???....never had a problem with the hw htr capacity with a family of 5...other then the whirlpool issue....it does take the shower about 5 minutes run time before hot enough to jump in....there is not an in line heater on this model whirlpool.....do i jump up to a 75 gal tank and add the circ pump?? thanks for any help....Paul

Depending on price of a 75-80 gallon tank and how often the whirlpool gets used, I would seriously consider a tankless with recirc.

I agree.....whirlpool probably would be used 2 or 3 times a month at best...my plumber is coming Saturday so we can go over options...since i am doing a remodel of the bath, i am also debating ripping it out completely along with the deck/platform and installing a stand alone tub....that option looks rather labor intensive though....plus, since the whirlbath itself still looks and operates fine , that seems like a drastic move.....i appreciate your perspective and input.....my bottom line is ...just trying to get the whirlbath to work as intended for maximum enjoyment and efficiency

Latest posts

Back