HVAC condensate drain line problem

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueSkyHigh

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi folks. My first post here on the forum. The old, 24 year old, vinyl 3/8" condensate line from the pump to the outside of my house goes up the inside of the equipment room where the air handler / AC evaporator is installed, takes about a twenty foot run between the ceiling of one room and the floor of the room above, comes down the side of the house outside the wall and finally exits the outside of the house.

My problem is that the old vinyl hose broke off at the point where it exits the outside of the house and I cannot repair that old section of the hose because the old stuff is bad and I don't have access to good tubing. I am not sure I want to tear the drywall off the room where the equipment room is to get at and replace the vinyl tubing to the outside of the house. An alternate solution that seems very doable to me is to either dump the condensate directly into the drain in the floor where the water heater's pressure relief valve dumps into and is routed to the home's sump without using a pump at all or I can connect the condensate pump using a short piece of vinyl tubing directly into that same drain and pump it into the home's sump.

Yes I know that the sump will fill up and that pump will run occasionally but that seems a much better and easier solution than having to rip a ceiling and a wall apart. Alternately, I suppose I could run a line along the baseboard of the room in question, through a PVC pipe, and punch another hole in the outside wall of the house.

Your thoughts would be much appreciated!

Pick which ever way will get the water to where you want it to go. Doesn’t matter.

Do whatever takes the longest and cost the most. That's what I'd do.

Latest posts

Back