Husband peeing on floor beside toilet

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Plexiglass is also called acrylic sheets. You can sometimes find it in big box stores like Home Depot and Lowes. Here is an example of a small sheet of it https://www.homedepot.com/p/OPTIX-1...ar-Non-Glare-Acrylic-Sheet-1X09242A/301138329
Since it is plastic, it is more likely you would find it at a place that sells plastics instead of glass.

I know that caregiving can be stressful at times. I'm a fulltime caregiver for my disabled mother. She can still walk and wash herself, but she can't really carry things or cook for herself. She's diabetic so sometimes she'll get low blood sugar in the middle of the night and wake me up at 2 or 3am to get her something.

How do you cut it? My sympathies for your situation. Diabetes is a terrible disease. Is her mind still okay?

Do you have a brand you can recommend?

I'm not sure where you're located. I'm on the east coast of Canada so brands of products vary greatly from my friends in America. The stuff I buy is just the hardware store branded silicone. If you go to any hardware store and just get a tube of any clear exterior caulking, if would definately be more than sufficient for a toilet.

How do you cut it? My sympathies for your situation. Diabetes is a terrible disease. Is her mind still okay?
She can be a bit irrational at times and she's also a bit on the lazy side so she will fake having low blood sugar and pretend she can't do things to get me to do them for her-- but there are times when she genuinely needs help. She's been losing weight since I've found healthier foods to feed her. She also had to be a bit more active when I was injured in a car wreck a couple years ago and again a few months back when I injured both ankles and had to stay off my feet. For the most part she manages her diabetes well and has medications to help with insulin resistance.

To cut plexiglass, you get either a glass cutter or box cutter and score it along where you want it to break (on both sides) and then bend it to snap it off. From my experience you may have to score it multiple times. Make sure you have something to give it a straight edge when scoring. You can clamp a metal T-square to it to get a straight line. You may have to score more than once to make sure you scored deep enough.

She can be a bit irrational at times and she's also a bit on the lazy side so she will fake having low blood sugar and pretend she can't do things to get me to do them for her-- but there are times when she genuinely needs help. She's been losing weight since I've found healthier foods to feed her. She also had to be a bit more active when I was injured in a car wreck a couple years ago and again a few months back when I injured both ankles and had to stay off my feet. For the most part she manages her diabetes well and has medications to help with insulin resistance.

To cut plexiglass, you get either a glass cutter or box cutter and score it along where you want it to break (on both sides) and then bend it to snap it off. From my experience you may have to score it multiple times. Make sure you have something to give it a straight edge when scoring. You can clamp a metal T-square to it to get a straight line. You may have to score more than once to make sure you scored deep enough.

Wow! Thank you very much! This will be very helpful, and I may think of other uses for it. I'm so sorry for your car wreck. It is so inconvenient to not be able to walk. I've had two serious falls on my right hip and have to use a walker a lot. When I do walk unassisted, it hurts, and I am pretty wobbly. It's at least good that your mom apparently have dementia. How old is she? My mother is 86 and has Type 2 diabetes. She's in a nursing home, so I don't have to deal with her. We don't have a good relationship. Do you have a good relationship with your mother?

Wow! Thank you very much! This will be very helpful, and I may think of other uses for it. I'm so sorry for your car wreck. It is so inconvenient to not be able to walk. I've had two serious falls on my right hip and have to use a walker a lot. When I do walk unassisted, it hurts, and I am pretty wobbly. It's at least good that your mom apparently have dementia. How old is she? My mother is 86 and has Type 2 diabetes. She's in a nursing home, so I don't have to deal with her. We don't have a good relationship. Do you have a good relationship with your mother?
Car wrecks can really suck. I had just lost my vehicles to a 300-yr old oak tree that fell over (it nailed the car port and 2 vehicles). So, I was in a dinky little rental car when someone ran a red light and nailed me. Took the front end off of the little car and spun me almost all the way around (pointed me directly at a lawyer's office). I was lucky that I had no broken bones, but the seatbelt cinched up so much that it did internal damage & I've had permanent health problems as a result. It also messed up my back a bit. She would have t-boned the side and probably done more damage if I hadn't waited a few seconds after the light turned green. I was paranoid that the people turning left were not going to yield to me as I was going straight. It didn't even occur to me that someone would just straight up run the red. Her insurance agent was a complete and total jerk-- called me at 6am harassing me to settle the claim less than a week after the accident and saying that they were only going to pay some of my medical bills. My doctor recommended a lawyer-- the one that the car pointed at. She had a really crappy plan with low payout though.
My mother is 68 and has had diabetes since the late 1980s. We have a good relationship. We have our arguments from time to time, but she's become a lot more appreciative and considerate since she depends on me more.

Its an expensive possible solution, but if you bought a top of the line Toto, heated seat, bidet, many automated features, he might want to sit. Maybe just a heated seat would do the trick:

(TOTO MS992CUMFG#01 Neorest 700H One-Piece Elongated Toilet, Universal Height with 1.0 GPF & 0.8 GPF Dual Flush)

Its an expensive possible solution, but if you bought a top of the line Toto, heated seat, bidet, many automated features, he might want to sit. Maybe just a heated seat would do the trick:

(TOTO MS992CUMFG#01 Neorest 700H One-Piece Elongated Toilet, Universal Height with 1.0 GPF & 0.8 GPF Dual Flush)
I don't think he objects to the toilet itself. He will sit there to poop. He just doesn't seem to recognize the toilet as the place to pee. I placed a bucket beside the toilet last night, and there was pee in it this morning! That may be the solution. Thanks very much for taking the time to write.

Thanks so much!!

Back