How would you seal this?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt30

Professional
Professional
Reaction score
Traced out a leak today. I’ve determined the leak was coming through the caulking where the tub meets the tiled wall. This particular tub has so flange so anything that gets under there just runs into the wall cavity.

Water pools pretty hard in this corner and there’s a good size gap between the tub and tile. I cut out the caulking today and am letting things dry up before I go back to recaulk it, but is there a better product for this issue than just caulking? The customer will not want to re tile the wall or get into any major repairs. A good silicone job is all I can think of at this point. What would ya’ll do?

Attachments

• 1F23F804-DDCD-4ED3-84A9-B2EE76457B00.jpeg
    1F23F804-DDCD-4ED3-84A9-B2EE76457B00.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 11
If that gap was wider, I would say to push unsanded grout under there for a first layer.
Then 100 percent silicone over that.

Looks like no room for grout, from the picture.

Make sure you scrape and clean and remove every last little bit of old caulk and soap before you re-caulk.
Clean up with rubbing alcohol and a white scotchbrite scrubber first.

Be sure to force silicone under that tile gap when you are applying it.

Hopefully the tub just settled a bit, and is not still moving.

Thanks Jeff. It’s all good and clean now. The picture was just taken as I uncovered the gap. I’ve peeled off all the caulking, not just in that corner. For some reason that corner seems to be the only place with a gap like that!

Floor settled, or the cleats holding up that corner of the tub sagged.
Or the wall lifted a little, but not likely.
It happens sometimes on top floor outside walls.

Since that area is ponding, new caulking there has to be perfect, like you are building a fish tank.

If it were me I would consider using something like a 2"x 6" tile "bullnose" trim (matching the tub if possible). They make a matching 2x2 piece for the ends. Going all the way around where the walls meet the tub. That way it looks like it was designed like that. Use bath/kitchen Polyseamseal to put it in and you shouldn't have a problem.

Back