How would you add a 4” wye?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt.mena

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This job at a hospital consists of adding back to back exam room sinks that share a 2” drain line. My supervisor took a scope with a hospital engineer and I was told, “There’s a stack here. You’ll probably have to cut in a San tee.”

That’s typical, cool with me. My first night of work the engineer points me to where the stack is. Trash cans were stacked there so I proceeded with coreing the 3” hole and began running the 2” no hub cast at 1/4” per foot. We got 70’ hung but before we left I moved the biohazard trash cans and looked at the stack. Here’s what I saw…
AC8BA432-F239-40AA-89D9-B17534069260.jpeg
Yeah, some stack 🙄
I like a good challenge but com’on man.

I cut out to top of the wall to get a view of this beauty.

By the time my 2” drain line gets there I’m just above the ceiling grid. The best I can think is hacking away at this with a 4” grinder. Cutting enough away to be able to cut through the middle of the bottom sweep leaving a 45. The band a 4” wye with the branch facing up. Rework the above 4” sweeps to meet the new fitting. Then put a 4x2 no hub band on the wye with a 2” 1/8 bend which should catch my 2” drain at hopefully the right elevation.

I thought about Diablo carbide blades to make a clean cut, if if a blade would even fit between the fitting and concrete exterior wall. But that would take too long for my patience and tends to overheat my M18 hacksaw.

So, like John Quiñones asks his victims of prime time network TV, “What would you do?” 🤔

Too bad you can’t drill a hole and weld a 2” hub onto it. 🤡🤷

That’s in a tight spot. So that’s a 90 at the bottom ?

Your plan is to cut that 90 in half turning it into a 45. Then custom cut a no hub wye and insert ?????

Pretty much.

Currently it’s a 4” sweep on the bottom going to the exterior of the building. On top of that is the short hub pipe. On top of that, can’t see too good, is a hub 90 looking toward the camera. At the top of the pic you can see a 4” long sweep banded to the hub 90.

What this is is the bottom of a 4” san stack going 5 floors up. Above the pic is the stack making it’s offset three sweep offset swooping around to this three piece hub set exiting the building.

First thing I gotta do it disconnect the three sweeps which are above the camera. Have two trash cans set up to catch unexpected waste. Then I’ll commence grinding away at what you see to make a wye sit pretty. I’ll re work the 4” sweeps to meet the new why. Use a 4x2 band to connect my two inch drain.

like MLK, “I had a dream…” that this crap could work 🥸

Maybe some kind of saddle fitting?
I know, bad idea, just trying to spark some better ideas.

Be sure to wear your poopy suit than can be disposed of.
You never know what might come down that pipe while it’s cut open.

ha!

I am just the young kid in the neighborhood who would crawl through long storm drains without a flashlight just to see where I would end up. That was cool to me. I would come out covered in spider webs smelling like a dead snake.

Some sort of confidence that everything will work out if I just kept going or something like that. I dunno.

Far from godlike! 🤣

Thanks anyway Jeff 😁

I used to crawl through those spooky drains also.
A kid from my neighborhood drowned years ago, he was down in there when a big rain came up and he was trapped.
Cheery story, I know. 😩

But I can’t do this stuff without my awesome, best coworker Andrei Tkachenko! My very wise Comrade!
D06B4D3C-500A-499B-977F-1E6015BFA5E5.jpeg
Me and him get the most double shifts in the company of 180 field employees ✌️😁👍

Videos wouldn't load for me either. What did they show?
Pics are neat. Glad you were able to get it all together. I like our coworker's sense of humor. Ever since I was a kid whenever I saw the elbow pipes I would put them on like armor and pretend to be a robot. Still do it sometimes. LOL.

Latest posts

Back