How to upgrade this mess! Well water system.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JTDIY

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, new to this forum and thanks for having me.

I'm replacing all of the components of my well water system with the exception of the jet pump and water softener. My question is ... what should I use in place of the ipex piping rats nest that I have installed currently? I'm looking for a neat install. I'm not sure PEX is my best bet because I don't think I can get the straight lines I'm looking for. Someone once told me that good plumbing is like artwork. What are my options? I'm in Ontario, Canada. Thanks!

Attachments

• Well Water System.jpg
    Well Water System.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 18
Find the studs screw 1×3 wood strapping to it, use copper or pex what ever your familiar with,
Use a couple different leghth levels drill small holes before you screw to the wood that way it won't split,draw it out on paper if you have to,you could also use plywood mounted to the wall,I like strapping because it keeps you off the wall for crimping or soldering

I like CPVC, but I think it's loosing popularity! But you have to be able to plan the system and use a tape measure!

I’d use pex with stainless fittings and copper crimp rings.

One thing I don't like about pex is the fittings go inside, therefore reducing flow. On CPVC the fitting are on the outside.

One thing I don't like about pex is the fittings go inside, therefore reducing flow. On CPVC the fitting are on the outside.

That issue is overrated, it’s really not a problem.

The ultimate upgrade for a water well system is to switch to constant pressure using a Cycle Stop Valve. What kind of pipe to use is the least of your problems. Replace that tank with a PK1A and a 4.5 gallon tank to get strong constant pressure to the showers and make the pump system last several times longer than normal.

Jet pump and PK1A.jpeg

Thanks everyone. I didn't want to run copper because I have hard water and didn't want build-up (although I suppose I could replace it eventually). CPVC is what I was originally thinking but I did a bit of research on PEX A and I think I might be able to make that look decent. I'll also look into the cycle stop valve and PK1A with 4.5 gallon tank. I'm trying to get some info on Well-X-Trol X1 tank which has a pump controller ... looks like a good match for constant pressure. Cheers.

Thanks everyone. I didn't want to run copper because I have hard water and didn't want build-up (although I suppose I could replace it eventually). CPVC is what I was originally thinking but I did a bit of research on PEX A and I think I might be able to make that look decent. I'll also look into the cycle stop valve and PK1A with 4.5 gallon tank. I'm trying to get some info on Well-X-Trol X1 tank which has a pump controller ... looks like a good match for constant pressure. Cheers.

I can tell you all about the WellX1. It is not constant pressure. It is just an electronic pressure switch that will let you use 10 PSI between on and off instead of the normal 20 PSI differential. Well X Trol calls that constant pressure when it is not. But since they are a tank manufacturer, that is there way of getting you to buy an even larger tank. With only 10 PSI between on and off you need twice the size of the old standard huge tank to keep the pump from cycling to death. Where they recommend a 44 gallon size tank (10 gallon draw) on a 10 GPM pump, now you need an 86 gallon size tank to keep the number of on/off cycles the same. But it is never a constant 50 PSI pressure like the Cycle Stop Valve, as the WellX1 is always cycling on and off between 45 and 55 PSI just to get an average 50 PSI.

I actually made one of those on my own about 10 years ago. I still have several hundred in our "discontinued" stock for forty six bucks if you want one. Our ESP1599 works like the WellX1. If you want to go that route here is the link. Electronic Pressure Switch

There is a newer one on the market called the Drop Pump Controller. It is even wifi and works from your phone. But they are several hundred bucks like 500 or so last time I checked.

I tried working with Amtrol who makes WellX about 30 years ago. I even know the inventor of their tanks, his name is Joe. But the Cycle Stop Valve is just as disruptive to the tank industry as it is the pump industry, which is why you won't see any of them promoting the CSV. I was naïve to ever think a tank manufacturer would promote something that makes a 4.5 gallon size pressure tank do a better job than an 86 gallon size tank. I was just as naïve to think pump manufactures would want pumps to last a long time. But after 30 years of selling Cycle Stop Valves I can certainly see why. The test pumps I put in with Cycle Stop Valves 30 years ago are still running, and I may not live long enough to see how long the CSV makes pumps last. :)

Last edited:
20220817_193504.jpgThis is the 'after'... pex and stainless. It was a long haul but I could look at this for hours. Good plumbing is like artwork. That's why I hired a pro to install the equipment I purchased. Very happy with the results.

Looks great.

I would’ve like to see a union of some type at the water filter heads and maybe the pressure tank.

Hopefully your metal straps don’t eventually cut into your plastic pipe or you’ve insulated them and I just can’t see it.

Latest posts

Back