How to turn On and Off Shower properly, were shower diverters built differently back then?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Thomas

Reaction score
I had an old shower diverter from the 1980s, however things were sturdy back in the day. :|
To turn the shower off, I would just push down the diverter, without Even turning off the shower knob first. It lasted for 30 years.

When I get a new spout & diverter, it kept breaking/getting stuck. Had to replace the spout/diverter many times.
Someone told me correct way to turn off shower these days is:
1) First turn off Water Knob
2) And then the diverter is pushed down second (sometimes they are automatic though).

Is that true?

Also reverse, to Turn On Shower knobs,

1) should I turn on water knob first,
2) or first hold the Diverter up, and then turn on shower knob?

Feel like second grade, just learning about this; but I guess knobs, spouts, and diverters were built differently back then.

1587102610950.png

If your breaking diverter's I would turn water off then push the knob down as the pressure will be off of it then.
Also turn water on first and then easily pull up the diverter knob for the shower.

I recall flipping diverters with the water running back in the day. Lol

But yeah, nowadays it's water on, divert to shower; and water off, divert to drain.

Joe has already had at least four threads started asking about tub spouts and diverters since Dec.
I think the subject has pretty much been covered by now, IMHO.
But there is no rule that says you can’t keep asking the same questions over again.

Joe has already had at least four threads started asking about tub spouts and diverters since Dec.
I think the subject has pretty much been covered by now, IMHO.
But there is no rule that says you can’t keep asking the same questions over again.
Maybe he's seeking different answers? I see this kind of thing in other forums...

Latest posts

Back