How to tee PVC into a copper drain

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vm084

Reaction score
Hey all, first post!

I am trying to add a new drain to existing drain pipe. The house has 1.5" copper drains that I want to tap into. I have worked with copper for 1/2" hot/cold water, but never drains. I have most of my new piping all the way to the sink planned in PVC. I was told I could use a Fernco Quick Tee which advertising as being able to join both copper or PVC. So I cut a few inches out of the copper drain in my basement and went to put the Tee inline, but the copper has a much too small OD than the fitting will take. Originally, I thought it would just slide in further, but I cant seem to get it to fit correctly/tightly. I even tried to add teflon to get the copper have a larger OD, but it got to the point where it seemed too rigged.

Has anyone worked with the Fernco Quick Tees? Any success? My PVC fits tightly, it just doesnt live up to the "fits Copper or PVC" line for me.
If this is not the correct way, what can I do?

As another alternative, I was hoping to get suggesting to a copper to PVC coupling and then use a PVC tee.

IMAG0628.jpg

Look for a Proflex banded coupling or a mission banded coupling
You can get them to fit plastic on one end and copper on the other.

use a PVC combo fitting (look it up if you don't know what that is )
Don't use a santee.
Toss that tee in the trash or take it back for a refund.

mission band.jpg

proflex.jpg

No that is a sanitary tee. a combo is a wye and an 1/8th bend all in 1 fitting.
It has a longer sweep. It's more of a directional fitting required when joining a horizontal drain to a horizontal drain

Can't find a combo use a wye and a street 1/8th bend

Wye

45-Degree-Spigot-x-Hub-Street-Elbow

combo.png

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back