how to replace 110v lead to submersible pump??

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kouvakis

Reaction score
i have a red jacket 518 submersible sewage pump , looks like 2 stainless steel 4 inch cylinders with bolts and a plastic grid shroud in between.

i just bought a house and the wiring to the pump and float switches was a mess. so i pulled the pump to see if it workes . runs just fine but the 11o v lead is too short and wire inside was damp and discolored. i need to replace this lead that enters at the mid pump plastic shroud . how is the wire water sealed at the entry???? and what does one need to seal the exit of a new wire lead?? would like benefit of any experience out there. i have never fooled with submersible pumps until now. redjacket website was absolutley no help - no diagram or repair manual for this product. thanks for your interest bill h. p.s . no i am not living there yet.

Most sewage pumps have a rubber gromet that is squeezed with a jam nut of sorts. You will also find that the pumps are filled with dielectric oil. Drain that first then disassemble the pump to show the motor inside. You will then see how the wires are attached.

Your pump sounds like a 4" sub. Like was stated the leads should be held in by a jam nut.
Just take the nut off, do not try to disassemble the motor it self. There are seals that will not seal back and the motor will fail as soon as your turn the power back on.
Only take the four bolts off that bolt the motor to the pump.

Most sewer makes have a upsetting gromet that is loaded with a jam nut of types. You will also discover out out that the makes are loaded with dielectric oil.

Say What????

Latest posts

Back