How to repair cut in stub out

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VJS1CD

Reaction score
We just had new tile installed on our bathroom walls. While tearing out the old vanity I unknowingly stuck an oscillating tool blade through the vanity drain stub out. The cut is the white line at about 5 o'clock in the picture. Opening up the wall isn't an option. Can I just epoxy the cut? The cut is about 2 inches in measured from the front of the adapter and maybe 1 inch from where the drain curves down.

Attachments

• 20230318_111351.jpg
    20230318_111351.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 20230318_111350.jpg
    20230318_111350.jpg
    877.9 KB · Views: 1
You’ll need to finish the cut and install a coupling.

Or screw it up and rip it out later after you have water damage.

Your house, your choice !

You’ll need to finish the cut and install a coupling.

Or screw it up and rip it out later after you have water damage.

Your house, your choice

Is there a coupling that will slip inside the pipe? It's going to be a bit of a pain to get to the exterior of the pipe inside the wall.

with ABS hole saw with a wood 2x4 block made so the hole saw has something to center it, or a hub saver, or open the wall, which is preferred. Heat works on PVC but not ABS. In fact heat is the enemy of ABS so I have no idea why it is even used in homes. Pouring hot water after boiling pasta broke the ABS in the wall of out kitchen a few years ago. Now we let the water cool before putting it down the drain.

We all make mistakes, VJS1CD, & learn from them, so don't feel bad about slicing the pipe.

If the cut pipe is glued into the elbow or coupling, perhaps a Pasco RamBit will help you.
The bit "drills" out the pipe, leaving the fitting ready for a new piece to be glued into.
Example: Pasco 3243 for 1-1/2" pipe.

These are very easy to use. There are other brands, too. (I think this might be what SGkent mentioned as Hub Saver.) Check eBay for used ones.
Paul

Attachments

• Rambit.png
    Rambit.png
    383.8 KB · Views: 0
Thanks everyone. I'm going to pick up a socket saver and see if that does it.

Fitting saver can work if there’s a fitting close by. If you run it fast it’ll melt the abs and fail.

Follow the directions.

Socket saver cut up the elbow too much to use. User error, I went in just a bit too deep. I cut out just enough of the tile to get to the elbow and replaced it. Now I just need to figure out what to do with the hole in my wall. It's behind the vanity, but it'll still bother me knowing it's there.

Now I just need to figure out what to do with the hole in my wall. It's behind the vanity, but it'll still bother me knowing it's there.
Can you glue some wood strips to the back of the wall to hold new drywall? (Drawing attached)

Try using an instant-grab glue like Loctite's Power Grab. Cut narrow strips, add glue to the ends and tuck them into the hole, letting the glue stick to the back of the existing drywall or plaster.
(Plan B: Instead of glue, screw the strips through the existing drywall or plaster if you can hold them. Sometimes a pencil on a string helps. Big binder clips, too.)

When the glue is dry, screw on a piece of drywall or wood to fill the hole. (Or smush in some setting type drywall joint compound or plaster to be flush with the existing drywall or plaster. It will make "keys" to lock onto the wood strips.)

Then tile with whatever is the same thickness as the existing.
Hope This Is Helpful!

Attachments

• Wood Strip Hole Fillping.pdf
    29.7 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back