how to remove this shower handle to get to the cartridge

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhandersen

Reaction score
Does anyone recognize this shower handle (old three handle control hot cold and shower/tub selection).
I see no obvious way to remove this handle and I need to replace the cartridge as it is leaking.
No obvious set screw, the chrome top seems immovable, cannot pop it off, cannot screw it off. I am afraid to damage it by trying any harder.

Attachments

• IMG_2512.JPG
    IMG_2512.JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 13
See if that chrome cap can be pried off ,use a utility knife between the chrome and gold wiggle it back an forth and see if it moves it may thread off ,did you check for an Allen screw? take that pic to a plumbing supply house to see if they recognize it

Thank you for you reply. Yeah, I tried prying it off, even took some channel locks to it to see if I could twist it off. It wont budge on any of the handles. There is one handle where I can get a knife under the chrome, but it does not want to come off... I could not find any set screw. This is driving me nuts...

Looks like a Price Pfister but acts like a Kohler... Try unscrewing between the brass rings and the tapered part. Many a Kohler comes apart just like that. Two pieces create a sandwich around the shaft screw.

Thank you for your suggestions! Soaking the handle in PB worked. The chrome front disk does unscrew!
I have two of the three off. One is somewhat stubborn...

Latest posts

Back