How to remove these faucet handles

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abelman

Reaction score
I have a leaky/dripping faucet, and have identified which of the faucet handles is causing the drip.
I'd like to remove/open the handle and replace the gasket or o-ring, but I can't seem to figure out how this handle comes off, or whether it would need to be disassembled from underneath the counter/sink. (I'm not sure who the manufacturer of this faucet/handle is either.) I've attached some photos of the handle (as well as the view from underneath the sink) and was wondering if anyone may be familiar with this style faucet/handle, or might have any suggestions as to how it could be removed or opened so that we can resolve the drip/leak.
I've looked all over for a set screw on these handles, and can't seem to find one. It also doesn't seem like there's any way to remove the top of the handle, or open it from the top.

Thanks for your help

faucet.jpgfaucet2.jpgfaucet3.jpg

Sure, that’s a Delta faucet.
The very top cap of the handle unscrews counterclockwise.
There’s a Phillips head screw that holds the handle on.

It’s that simple.

Get some nitrile coated gloves or a couple of those flat rubber jar openers that help your grip.

Strap wrench might help,........

Thanks so much for all your help. I had tried that before, but couldn't get it to budge (so I assumed it wasn't the "right way in"). But I gave it a couple of more tries with a wrench (and a rag), and managed to get the cap off. I removed the screw now as well, but I still can't seem to remove the handle. Is it supposed to lift upward once the screw is removed? I'm guessing it's been in place for around 30-40 years, and it's probably somewhat corroded underneath.
Any suggestions for the next steps?

Thanks again for all your help. faucet.jpg

Pull straight up. That’s how it comes off.

you could go buy some faucet handle pullers at hardware store.

Thanks. I think I'm going to have to try one of those faucet handle pullers. Is there any way to lubricate the inside of the handle to loosen it up?

Thanks again

Squirt this, let it sit for a day.View attachment 27940
The problem with that is you can’t get the PB blaster where it’s needed, the handle covers the joint. The screw hole won’t get it where it needs to go either.

Plus I believe it’s a plastic handle insert.

He just needs to snatch the crap out of it or use handle pullers

You could try gently rocking the handle while pulling up with pliers and use some rubber to protect the finish of the handle.,

I scrapped some delta handles just like that about a month ago. I might even still have them in the scrap barrel.

Latest posts

Back