How to remove the snap ring off this isolation valve of my shower?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LilyT

Reaction score
Hi there, I have a Grohe shower valve like in the attached picture. I'd like to replace the isolation valves or stop valves because one is leaky, part# 47051000. The valve is a cylinder shape secured by a snap ring.
Unfortunately, I couldn't remove the old snap ring. I bought Pittsburgh Snap Ring Pliers from Harbor Freight store. I was able to use the pliers to squeeze/close the snap ring, but when I tried to pull it out, it slipped, I lost the grip of the snap ring, and the snap ring sprang back to the old position.
I have also attached a closed-up shot of the old isolation valve and a picture of my new valve & snap ring.
Do you know any tricks to take off the old snap ring?
Thank you!

Attachments

• ShowerValveEx.jpg
    ShowerValveEx.jpg
    317.5 KB · Views: 6
  • SnapRingOld.jpg
    SnapRingOld.jpg
    808.7 KB · Views: 6
  • SnapRingNew.jpg
    SnapRingNew.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 6
Use a pair of needle nose pliers to grab the ring when you squeeze it with the snap ring pliers

Thanks for the reply!
There is no space to fit two pliers in the wall opening. I tried the hook that the dental hygienist uses, but I couldn't even get the hook in there behind/under the snap ring. The needle nose pliers has much bigger tips than the dental hook, could be even harder to fit in there.

Yes, better quality pliers and more patience and practice.
If you are rushed or jittery or angry, forget it.
Take your time, have a drink or some deep breathing first, it is frustrating but there is no hurry.
Keep that in mind, proceed as though you are defusing a bomb, so be careful, accurate, and slow.

A bit more on the snap ring pliers, unless you find a need to use them often, a nice set with adjustable internal/external settings work great, and won't break the bank.

1627130217693.png

Back