How to remove old wall flange and drain pipe

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpruceLee

Reaction score
Hi All - I am trying to replace our bathroom drain piping (total beginner) but not sure how to remove this last piece of pipe that connects to the wall pipe (see pictures). The piping in the walls is probably about 20-25 years old and looks to be PVC (not sure). In any case, I don't know how to remove this wall flange and pipe piece and don't want to turn and twist too much to avoid damaging piping in the wall. How is this connected and how can I best remove it? Looks like new p-traps connect in a different way than this old one did..

Any advice is much appreciated! Thanks!

IMG_2030.jpg IMG_2028.jpg

cut the escutcheon off of the pipe, using your dremal with abrasive wheel
then look at what is behind it. looks to me like you are going to have to cut out the old trap arm
then use a ram bit to drill the pipe out of the san tee

img_2030-jpg.22001

Thanks for the advice! So it looks like the pipe is glued into the wall pvc pipe. I am thinking I may just leave this chrome piece in there and just replace the j-bend. These older j-bends (nut on the jbend vs the wall pipe) seem to be harder to find but should be possible.

From the pics, it looks like the diameter of that chrome pipe is bigger than the pvc pipe going into the wall.

Very strange, because usually the chrome piece would slip INSIDE the pipe going into the wall.

But then there would be a big nut and a washer to make the seal.

So I am guessing there is rubber or glue making a seal in that fatter section of chrome, after the escutcheon.

Maybe they wanted to use chrome because it looks snazzier?

Anyway, there is likely some intact pvc still inside that fat section of chrome.

If the chrome piece can’t be slid off or twisted loose, just hacksaw off the end of it, leaving most of the fat part untouched.

Then you should be able to see what is inside there, what is holding it on to the pvc.
Maybe just heating it up with a heat gun or hair dryer will let it release and then can be slipped off.

Or carefully cut a slit down the length of the remaining fat chrome part, and cut off the escutcheon, and peel all that chrome off of there.

Back