How to remove aerator?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spicoli

Reaction score
My sinks aerator does not have notches for those key removal tools. I've tried turning it using a paper clip in the holes but it won't budge either way. And tried prying it out with flat head screwdriver and hook pry tool. And the spout won't remove as it is built into the main body. It is American Standard. Thanks,

QZthtXz.jpg

Put a piece of inner tube around the teeth of the pliers so you don't scratch the chrome, and unscrew it.

Put a piece of inner tube around the teeth of the pliers so you don't scratch the chrome, and unscrew it.

I have tried that but wouldn't budge. As I am looking at it, standing in front of it, which way would I turn, clockwise or counter clockwise?

If you are standing below the aerator looking up at it, it would unscrew counterclockwise. Since we are not that small, if you are looking over the faucet, then you would do the opposite, and it would twist clockwise. Just remember, righty tighty, lefty loosely, if you are looking at the aerator in an inverted manner.

I have really cranked on it with a wrench and it won't budge. I think the entire faucet has to come apart to get it out.

Back