How to properly vent plumbing in new basement bathroom?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anthonie Banuchi

Reaction score
Hello, I am new to the forum and I am in search of some professional guidance.

I am putting a bathroom in a basement. There is currently no bathroom there so I will be adding all the supply lines, drains, vents, etc.

Running the supply lines and drains is the easy part. The task in question is how to properly vent the new drains. The main drain for the home is below the basement slab approximately 6 feet from the wall of the new bathroom. I am not sure if I can tie into that stack for my venting or not...I am assuming not. However, there aren't any plumbing vents in the home directly above this new bathroom so I am not sure what my next best option is. Can I punch the vents out the rim joist and go up the side of the home and extend the vent beyond the roof line?

I should add... I am a contractor that is proficient when it comes to almost all areas of remodeling, but adding a bathroom where one doesn't exist is new to me. I understand the basics of how the drains and such need to be ran, but I just don't see an option for the venting.

I live in Boise, ID and I want to make sure things are done to code. The work is being done on my personal home and I did get a permit as the home owner and I am doing the work myself. So, I am more than comfortable with the task at hand. I just am having trouble figuring out the best option for proper venting.

Thank you so much in advance!

Biggest thing is everything has a vent. You can physically ty into the stack coming down basement wall. It will work. It will breathe. But if that main ever clogs just before this bathroom ties in. You will get all your sewage thru that new vent. I would find a wall to cut open or closet to hide a vent going up into attic then tying into existing vent before it exits roof. Time consuming, money is about $250 extra cost if you buy drywall. But in the end you can sleep peacefully and never worry about it being “not right”.

Latest posts

Back