How to install sprayer in toilet while shut off valve does not work

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Farhan K

Reaction score
I want to install a sprayer with the toilet. In order to do that I need to shut off the water supply to the toilet. But my shut off valve is not working when I move it clockwise.

How can I install it while shut off valve is still supplying water? I thought about using bucket or similar something to avoid flooding.

Attachments

• 88280861_1236806406518466_7763441455271510016_n.jpg
    88280861_1236806406518466_7763441455271510016_n.jpg
    485.9 KB · Views: 23
  • 89249977_604079293479499_194044711172833280_n.jpg
    89249977_604079293479499_194044711172833280_n.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 22
Shut off your main water valve, then fix that valve at the toilet before adding any other contraption. Nothing else will work without a major flood.

Shut off your main water valve, then fix that valve at the toilet before adding any other contraption. Nothing else will work without a major flood.
What if I use towels and bucket and quickly attach the sprayer with the supply line? Not much flooding should happen

You seem determined to ignore good advice, so good luck and have fun cleaning up a big flood.

Once you unscrew that flush valve, you will be shooting 60-90 psi.

Have you ever tried to screw on a nozzle onto a hose at full stream? It's next to impossible without pinching the hose to slow the stream.

Good luck, have fun, and wear your bathing suit!

You seem determined to ignore good advice, so good luck and have fun cleaning up a big flood.
I do not wanna ignore good advice. I am helpless here. You see the housing authority is not listening to me on fixing the shut off valve. They are just saying not to touch it.

Last edited:
If you absolutely cannot turn off the main shutoff to your whole apartment, condo, or whatever, then you can try this old trick.

Purchase another shutoff valve exactly like the one you have right there.
It looks like a Brasscraft 1/2 inch copper inlet, 3/8 inch compression outlet.

Open up every cold faucet that you have, showers, tubs, sinks, etc, and let them keep running full open.

That will greatly reduce the flow when you take apart the defective shutoff valve by your toilet.

Then just unscrew the big nut behind the football shaped handle, then unscrew the guts of the valve by turning the football handle counter-clockwise.

The handle attached to a plastic spiral insert will come out.

Meanwhile, you have already removed that same exact guts from the new valve.

Just quickly screw in the new plastic spiral and handle, screw on the new big nut onto the old valve, and you have a nice new functioning shutoff valve.

You will still have a flood, and if something goes wrong and water keeps shooting out, you are totally screwed.

If you absolutely cannot turn off the main shutoff to your whole apartment, condo, or whatever, then you can try this old trick.

Purchase another shutoff valve exactly like the one you have right there.
It looks like a Brasscraft 1/2 inch copper inlet, 3/8 inch compression outlet.

Open up every cold faucet that you have, showers, tubs, sinks, etc, and let them keep running full open.

That will greatly reduce the flow when you take apart the defective shutoff valve by your toilet.

Then just unscrew the big nut behind the football shaped handle, then unscrew the guts of the valve by turning the football handle counter-clockwise.

The handle attached to a plastic spiral insert will come out.

Meanwhile, you have already removed that same exact guts from the new valve.

Just quickly screw in the new plastic spiral and handle, screw on the new big nut onto the old valve, and you have a nice new functioning shutoff valve.

You will still have a flood, and if something goes wrong and water keeps shooting out, you are totally screwed.
Thanks. But it seems like a lot of work. I told the housing authority that I wanna install a bidet sprayer, let's see what they say.

Are you certain the valve leading to the toilet is broken, or could it be frozen?
The valve moves both clockwise and anticlockwise but the water supply does not shut off. So don't know what's wrong. Maybe it is too old

Personally I wouldn't try jumping in that valve. If you have no idea what your doing then call a plumber that is insured and
get it done RIGHT.

Reactions: bbp
Bad idea: I hate to be mischievous, but everyone knows how unreliable flex hoses are in toilet hookups. Just poke a tiny hole in the hose so it drips a cup of water per hour. The landlord will have to shutoff the main (since the valve in the picture is not functioning). This will get the bad valve replaced.

A pro plumber knows how to deal with systems with broken valves. Hire him to work on this problem and you'll gain invaluable knowledge. I wonder if he would knock out the tile to get to the copper tubing behind the wall. With enough room he can freeze the line with CO2 to temporarily block water flow, giving him enough time to install a good valve to replace the bad one (using a compression fitting).

Hmmm, you can replace a new one.
Or you can see this youtube can teach you how to repair it.

Latest posts

Back