How to install septic tank riser

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a small 500 gal septic tank that is fed from only a seldom used basement guest bath, but now needing to be pumped. Last time it was pumped was 25 years ago and, since then, a sidewalk has been poured over about 1/2 of the tank (oops!). Is there a way to install a riser to the other 1/2 of the tank to allow pumping without having to destroy the sidewalk? I dug down to the lid and it's about 20" below the surface. How to go about cuting a hole in the lid for the riser without taking off or destroying the lid?

Hey Frodo, I just read your answer to this post and I was wondering if you could take a look at my post about where to run a waste line for bathroom in a pole barn. Looks like you have good advice and some experience. Its in the septic tank section. Appreciate it.

Hey Frodo, I just read your answer to this post and I was wondering if you could take a look at my post about where to run a waste line for bathroom in a pole barn. Looks like you have good advice and some experience. Its in the septic tank section. Appreciate it.

I read that post, seems straight forward to me
if the bathroom is where the window is, come out of the building under the window. set your tank 10' or more from the building and install your leach field

I can't go that way because the leach field for our house is right outside that window in the grassy area. Could I run a line from the bath in the ground and then out the back and place a tank in the ground in the area shown in the second picture? There is no finished floor in that back section and a trench would be fairly easy to dig. I though since it would be a small bathroom I could eliminate the need for a field and just have a tank I could pump out. Feasible??

Back