How to clean copper pipe after soldering

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fusion916

Reaction score
So I soldered some copper pipe for the first time over the weekend and needless to say it turned out like ****.

It "works" as there are no leaks and it's properly sealed, but i got solder all over the place and overheated/underheated parts of the pipe where it looks like **** near the places I needed up.

What is the proper method of making them shine again? Do I just use the cleaner bristle pads all over the pipe? What do you do about solder overruns?

Sounds like you're using to much solder. On 1/2" and 3/4" joints put your heat on one side of the fitting and touch your shoulder to the other. When you see the solder run around the joint to the other side remove the soiled the joint is done. As a rule of thumb you use a 1/2" of solder on a 1/2" joint and 3/4" on a 3/4' joint. After the solder cools remove the excess flux with a damp rag.

Thanks for the soldering tips, but what about cleaning my bad soldering job to make it shine?

Don't use synthetic rags. I learned this the hard way years ago. I used a nylon rag and it melted all over the joint. Talk about ugly!

use a peice of insulation to wipe the joints while still hot, this leaves it smooth as butter and looking like it was done by a machiene. Try it out and you will see what I mean. then wipe it off with a wet rag ( to remove extra soldier )

IF you want to Really make it shine then Elbow greese and sand cloth after Though its kinda a moot point cause the copper will oxodize after anyways ( the cold line is always the darker line because the cold water carrys more oxygen )

Latest posts

Back