How much should installation of a tankless heater into an existing setup cost?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice! Any experience with the Rinnai V series? I got the v65en in part because it's cheaper than the RL but still has good reviews.

Nice! Any experience with the Rinnai V series? I got the v65en in part because it's cheaper than the RL but still has good reviews.
Nope, I sell the one pictured almost exclusively. They cost about $1200 or so. I get them cheaper. 😬

Okay, so I've had a couple of plumbers flake on me. The latest guy (who came to turn off the apparently still-leaking old heater...) has an expired license... as an apprentice! But he's only charging $500.

Should I run the other way? Or is this a simple enough job to trust it to an expired apprentice? LOL.

Last edited:
Okay, so I've had a couple of plumbers flake on me. The latest guy (who came to turn off the apparently still-leaking old heater...) has an expired license... as an apprentice! But he's only charging $500
Should I run the other way? Or is this a simple enough job to trust it to an expired apprentice? LOL.

Technically he’s not anymore qualified than you are. Actually less qualified because you’re allowed in Tx to work on your own plumbing, he’s not.

Proceed at your own risk, it’s on you if he screws the pooch, you know he’s not licensed.

Believe be, nobody is less qualified than me. I'd just take a hammer to it and close my eyes... :p. That's if I were even in the city right now.

So, I get that hiring an unlicensed person is not the best idea, but I'm kind of stuck. Are there lots of ways a heater install can go wrong? Sounds like you're saying yes.

Believe be, nobody is less qualified than me. I'd just take a hammer to it and close my eyes... :p. That's if I were even in the city right now.

So, I get that hiring an unlicensed person is not the best idea, but I'm kind of stuck. Are there lots of ways a heater install can go wrong? Sounds like you're saying yes.
The guy might be fine but then again he might not be. How would I know ?

Gas can kill ya.......that’s how wrong it can go.

I’m not trying to be an alarmist but it truly can be a bad situation. However it might be fine 🤣 again, I have nothing to go on but you telling me he has an expired apprentice license.,

Here an apprentice is some one who paid the state 50 bucks and got a piece of paper back saying their an apprentice plumber now. Literally......

Back