How many things are wrong with this?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a friend who did a basement remodel. The contractor (not a licensed plumber) plumbed a new utility sink, added a standpipe for the washer, connected those two to the stack about 15 feet away with new piping and also changed out the sink in the bathroom. I am not a licensed plumber, but there are several things that stood out that I am almost positive was done incorrectly and a whole lot more that looks incorrect, but might not be. Being this is a basement, there was not a whole lot of vertical space to work with in regards to the new drain pipe that was added (you can see it agains the wall on the standpipe) which may count for a lot of the wonkiness of the utility sink. I didn't actually measure, but the slope looks way less than 1/4 per ft. Not to mention there isn't a vent in sight...

Would love it if you could take a look at the pics and let me know what is wrong (or right). For what it is worth, my suggestion was to take out all the plumbing out under the utility sink, add a sink pump so it can be plumbed properly, get rid of the standpipe and have the washer drain into the newly and correctly plumbed utility sink. Not sure if that is the right idea, but would love to hear expert opinions. As far as the new sink in the bathroom, the two 90 elbows don't seem right and not sure why it doesn't just drain straight into the P-trap, although I do see the advantage of the added space. But that means nothing if it's not correct and prone to failure or leaking.

Thank you for your time and I really appreciate all the things I have learned from this forum.

Attachments

• IMG_7479.jpg
    IMG_7479.jpg
    706.6 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_7480.jpg
    IMG_7480.jpg
    736.4 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_7478.jpg
    IMG_7478.jpg
    342.3 KB · Views: 40
Thank you. What do you think of my suggestion of adding a sink pump and draining the washer into the utility sink, assuming it will be correctly plumbed?

I can take a picture a little later. but it essentially continues along that wall for about 6 feet and then it makes a right and continues along another wall for at least 10 feet before it disappears into a wall. There is also something peculiar about that since they literally went past the main stack to tie in somewhere else...

Attached is what I was going to propose. Assuming all the fittings are proper and the all the horizontal runs are sloped properly, is there something blatantly wrong or improper? Thanks again for the advice.

Attachments

• proposed-change.jpg
    proposed-change.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 12
You can’t tie in your sink to your standpipe. AAV’s can’t be used with pumps. Pumps need two way venting and AAV’s don’t do that. Did they use a pump on that hack job?

There is no pump yet. I was just wondering if that was a solution considering they are not getting the proper slope to where they tie into the main stack. But now that I think about it, the water going into the basin would compress the air and try to vent, but couldn't because it's one way . So it has to be vented outside or tied into an existing vent. There is a vent that is on the other side of the room across the ceiling, so we could tie into that. Could you look at the new diagram and see if that's alright? proposed-change-2.jpg

Latest posts

Back