How many bids? And what not to say..

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebar

Reaction score
Hello everyone, new here..:)

I just bought a acre in the middle of nowhere with a mobile home, garage and barn on it. I was told the septic needs "updated" and the cost would be between 7k and 10k. I made a offer, and it was accepted that night. The county allows the contractors to do the perk tests and designs and then approves them.

So now that I almost own the property, Iv talked to a few excavators who install septic systems and they all mentioned a sand filter system with a pump which will add thousands to the job.:mad:

The two contractors Iv talked to seem to want to sell me this more expensive system (everyone who owns a sand filter Iv talked to hates them) without even having a perk test..

I guess I should have made my offer contingent on the perk test but hindsight's 20/20..

Can I do my own perk test to verify the contractors results?

Anyway.. I guess my question is about the perk test and how many contractors I should ask to give me a bid.. But if you have any suggestions short of ripping the toilets out and installing a outhouse.. Don't hesitate to post here because I'm a bit nervous about the process of turning my beautiful acre into what looks like a war zone.

Thanks

hire an independent to do the perk test.

my system was engineered to use the pumps and yadda yadda

I simply installed a tank and dug out a leech field, it has been working for 12 years with no problems

to do a perk test, dig a hole, fill with water and time how long it takes for the water to disappear [perk]

hire an independent to do the perk test.

my system was engineered to use the pumps and yadda yadda

I simply installed a tank and dug out a leech field, it has been working for 12 years with no problems

to do a perk test, dig a hole, fill with water and time how long it takes for the water to disappear [perk]

Thanks.

Im guessing anyone qualified to do the perc test would want to sell me a septic system though..

How does it work? Each contractor goes out and digs a hole to test? Iv already asked three to give me a bid and now wondering how much it will cost.

How do you time the drainage? Or rather ,, what are the guidelines and limits?

Last edited:
To make it simple. Sand and gravel perks very well. Clay doesn't. Anything in between or a mixture of both can be 50/50.

Just a note about bids. Lowest bid is not always your best bet.
The old saying, "you get what you pay for.

Turns out with some due diligence that since its a estate sale.. I don't have to upgrade it! Cha Ching!

Back