How does this kind of water heater work?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

puyuliu95121

Reaction score
View attachment 59716 Most of the water heaters I found on youtube are having a disk burner underneath the tank. However mine only have a nozzle on the side.

There is pilot flame as I could see. When the controller is turned to "ON", I could hear hissing gas noise. But there's no flame.

I ignited the flame. But it seems this is not how it works, as I could see the inside of the metal tunnel started to turn red and I shut it off. PG&E technitian came and simply turned it to "ON" and the hissing gas noise came with the water boiling noise from the tank soon after.

So, without a flame, and the gas nozzle is wide open like that, how does it heat the water?View attachment 59717

Tell us the brand and model number of your water heater, that will let us find the info to explain how yours works.

I bet he’s lighting the gas on the outside of an FVIR water heater.

Yes, pretty much enclosed at the bottom, hard to see any of the guts.
I don’t know what he is lighting, it likely has an ignitor anyway.
He said he saw it turning red.

puyuliu, if the water heater is working well, water is getting hot, no other problems, then stop fooling with it and stop worrying about it.

Someone needs to check for SPAM on this forum. As each day passes, I see more and more spam on Plumbing Forums. At the very least there should be a way to report posts as spam.

Someone needs to check for SPAM on this forum. As each day passes, I see more and more spam on Plumbing Forums. At the very least there should be a way to report posts as spam.
There is a way.....

Thank you for your prompt reply. I appreciate it very much.

I don't see any link or any icon on these forum pages that would allow someone to flag or report a post as spam.

I only veiw this forum on my smartphone
The mobile version.
May be a diffrent format the on a pc

Back