how do you makeup lost radiator space in a remodel?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtmtntop

Reaction score
thanks for all the help you've provided me over the years. I am planning to take out a bay window and put in a french door. I'll lose about 6' of existing base radiator in the process. what's the best way to recover this amount of heat? Do i reroute copper radiator piping along 6' of adjacent interior wall? ( 3 feet on each side of the new french door). I don't want a step to get outside. I want to step over only the door threshold. Or possibly have an in floor vent in front of the thresholds by notching (and doubling) existing floor joists? or something else? thanks

Post a pic of the current bay and the areas you are talking about, to get better answers.

Was 6' the entire radiator section for that room. Sounds like you may have another section and/or you are just removing 6' from a longer section.

You may be aware of it but sometimes when you don't have the space for the amount of radiation you can use a double pass unit, in half the space. Just FYI

the wall with the existing radiator is about 9' long. The door unit I am looking at is about 6'. I did not know about a double pass unit. Researching my options, i also did not know there were wall hanging radiators in many sizes. Right now i am thinking a 12" wide unit on each side of the door. I believe I have 14" of space left on each side of the proposed door. I also found that i cannot put in a floor unit because the floor joists would all have to be cut. It does seem possible with the wall hanging radiators. I have never seen one of these in a house . any comments on how they work?

Let me reword my previous question.

What's the total combined length of the baseboard radiation in that room?
Approx. size room and is it open to an adjacent room or separated by a wall and door?

It sounds like you have a 9' section along the subject wall and will be losing 6' of it. How would you not lose the other 3' of it?

Sounds like you have access from below. ??

Unless I'm missing something here, it sounds like just putting in (2) 3' sections as you mentioned, would be fairly straight forward.

the room is 11'x12'. in this room, there is a baseboard radiator unit the entire length of the exterior wall,or 11' It is the side i want to take out a bay window and 12' the other way. it is open to a kitchen along the 12' side, and open to a living room along the other 11' side. so there is one solid wall in the room, not counting the exterior wall. I don't have a plan yet, but i thought to keep the amount of heat in this room the same, I have to have the equivalent of 11' of baseboard radiator. It is starting to look like I will take out the entire radiator unit along that wall, and replace it with two wall hanging units, 12" wide by whatever height I need to get the equivalent heat of 11' of baseboard radiator; one on each side of the french door unit. If I just chop out 6' of baseboard radiator I am losing 6' of heat I have now.
I do have access from below. Its really hard to take pictures in this room with the lighting,not to mention it being full of furniture and plants.

Latest posts

Back