How Do I Shut My Main Off With This Type of Valve?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Nero

Reaction score
I'm not sure if the handle is missing or if it was meant to be done with a general wrench, but I'm not sure how to approach shutting the main off. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_6969.jpg
    IMG_6969.jpg
    902.6 KB · Views: 1
The handle is missing. The valve turns off to the right.

That’s a spline stem, so it takes a specific manufactures handle. You might could buy a few at a local hardware store and hope one fits.

It would be best if that was replaced with a ballvalve.

If I were going to try and find a handle that fits, I would use pliers to turn it off. This can damage the splines then the handle won’t fit proper.

The handle is missing. The valve turns off to the right.

That’s a spline stem, so it takes a specific manufactures handle. You might could buy a few at a local hardware store and hope one fits.

It would be best if that was replaced with a ballvalve.

If I were going to try and find a handle that fits, I would use pliers to turn it off. This can damage the splines then the handle won’t fit proper.
Thank you. Yes... replacement with ball valve is EXACTLY the plan... but I need to plan that out with the town. In the meantime, I have a more pressing issue i need to address, so was looking to see how to get the water turned off now. Thanks for the help!!

I've got an old fashioned hardware store near me that has about everything a hardware store should have. If you can find one of those, measure the stem diameter and count the splines, and go searching.

Latest posts

Back