How do I open this grease trap?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BartGojjer

Reaction score
Hello,

I am trying to open this grease trap. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

IMG_9565.JPG

Video of me prying the lid with a screwdriver (YouTube)

video of me turning the bolt (YouTube)

Context: We shot an indie horror movie in this storefront theater last week, and despite our best efforts to coordinate our crew, it seems that some of our fake blood and goo (ingredients are water, xanthin gum food thickener, and food coloring, the blood/goo is about the consistency of a vinaigrette salad dressing) and maybe some rubber worms (think rubber fishing lures) went down the drain of the slop sink. At the end of the week we noticed water leaking up out of the top of the grease trap box under the sink. We mopped up the puddle and tried to open up the grease trap to clear whatever had clogged it. The bolt doesn't seem to want to turn more than a quarter turn, even after some WD40. I'm not a plumber but the internet leads me to believe that this may be some kind of child lock mechanism that I can't figure out. I tried pulling the bolt up and out of the trap, in several positions, but so far no luck. My plumber friend suggested that maybe it's fused to something on the inside of the box, and I may need to cut the bolt head off with an angle grinder.

I talked to the theater representative and they've never had to open the grease trap since they moved into the building 6 years ago and so aren't sure how to open it.
Any advice on how to open this lid?

Thank you very much,

bart

How about opening the black plug in the front and draining it out? (obviously with a catch basin)

Also a better picture of the top without the vise grips if that's a nut your on you would need a socket,if is leaking out of the top the outlet of the trap is clogged

Thank you for your help! I opened the black plug in the front and did some draining, but really wanted access to the top. I got it off with a 15/16" socket and using a cheater bar for more leverage. The bolt sheared. I cleaned it out and replaced the top without replacing the bolt; it's resting on the top of the trap. What do you guys think? top bolt sheared.jpg
top off, sheared bolt.jpg
gunk inside.jpg
sludge removed.jpg
cleaned insides.jpg

Attachments

• sludge removed.jpg
    sludge removed.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 3
It should be secured down, we had the threaded rods for out, you could use small c clamps on each corner if you don't and the trap backs up it will leak out of the top

It should be secured down, we had the threaded rods for out, you could use small c clamps on each corner if you don't and the trap backs up it will leak out of the top
just thought of this....i think the rod is either 1/2" or 5/8" cut the rod inside the trap and use a nut on each side of a rod coupling run the rod up with enough to catch another nut....just thinkin........

I opened one at little Ceasers and cleared the kitchen and the lobby out.
It ranked up there with cleaning drains in a dog kennel at the racetrack or seafood processing plant drains. Chicken processing plant was bad too.

Embalming table was pretty bad too. I plunged that one and almost lost it when it all came back up in the sink. Smelled like formaldehyde the rest of the day.

They had 3 body’s covered up to their necks. I’ll never forget the one face I looked at.

A grease trap is normally cleaned by a company that can properly dispose of it they usually have a truck with a 500 -1000 gal capacity, take the baffles out scap them down and fill it back up with water
In mass your supposed to keep a record of when it was cleaned and how much was taken out in gallons

A grease trap is normally cleaned by a company that can properly dispose of it they usually have a truck with a 500 -1000 gal capacity, take the baffles out scap them down and fill it back up with water
In mass your supposed to keep a record of when it was cleaned and how much was taken out in gallons

Here the small ones under the service sinks are maintained by the owner. They scoop them out into a bucket and take it to a disposal site. Or that’s how some fo it.

Mass has very strict codes..... 👍

Back