How do I make standard pop up drain assemblies work on these center drain sinks?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anticlmatic

Reaction score
I keep running into these new sinks in remodels wherein the drain hole is offset about four inches towards the center of the sink. I've tried putting a four inch extension on the lever, but basic lever physics prevent it from working well at all. At best I can get a quarter inch of motion out of the plunger, at worst it's more like 1/16th.

I hate to put in clickers because the lever is often an integral fashion part of every new faucet, and people would grab for it if it was there.

I can picture the part that I want for this, but I doubt it exists- some kind of multi-linkage lever to milk more motion out of a greater distance. /\/\/ I feel like I could maybe rig one up out of something and mount it to the drain trap.

Anybody have any experience with these sinks and incompatible parts people seem to love buying?

Nice picture. yep Just bend it. turn the lock nut to the rear.

Ok, I made up a diagram to describe my issue. Last sink I ran into I had to use extensions for both the lever and the pull rod, but a single lever with that much length from the pivot point gives me too little motion, and the lav faucet had a set amount of play built into the pull rod- about 2.5 inches. All hooked up it barely moved the stopper. The best I could do was set it to barely open and draining, or barely closed and holding water in the sink. Max to min.

I don't have anything more to add to the solution but this is something that drives me nuts as well. The crazy thing about it is that I don't know anyone who actually pulls the drain closed except for my wife's 100 year old grandmother. I brush my teeth and wash my face over the sink and have never had any reason to pull it closed.
Try offering your customers one of these as an option.
Z1wGJyocpEx_.JPG

The crazy thing about it is that I don't know anyone who actually pulls the drain closed except for my wife's 100 year old grandmother. .

I think she was a customer of mine.
I had an o'lady that complained about a new pop-up that would not hold water overnight.
She liked to soak her delicates in the sink over night. :eek::rolleyes:o_O
Replaced it once then told her to use a bowl in the sink.

I don't have anything more to add to the solution but this is something that drives me nuts as well. The crazy thing about it is that I don't know anyone who actually pulls the drain closed except for my wife's 100 year old grandmother. I brush my teeth and wash my face over the sink and have never had any reason to pull it closed.
Try offering your customers one of these as an option.
Z1wGJyocpEx_.JPG

But.....I use the stopper to fill the sink and test my drain connections for leaks. Haha.

Is that a clicker drain? I’ve been installing them in these situations, but I think the faucet looks funny with the rod either missing or non functional.

I’ve been working on creating some kind of linkage with a handful of spare rods that can be fastened to the trap somehow, I’ll post any viable mechanical solutions I come up with if I do.

Back