how do I get this valve off?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mzimmers

Reaction score
Hi, all -

The valve in the picture fits to a 1/2" copper pipe. This is a first for me, as I've always had NPT fittings under the sink.

How the heck do I get this off? I need to replace it because it won't shut off fully.

Thanks...

IMG_0852.JPG

Looks like a compression fit valve, you should be able to unscrew the compression nut from the valve, valve will then slide off.

Nut and brass ferrule will still be trapped on the pipe.

Not much copper to work with, so maybe a new compression valve could go onto that same nut and brass ferrule, just clean up any minerals or corrosion with a plastic scotchbrite pad and vinegar.

You could try a puller to remove the nut and ferrule, if you can’t find a valve that mates with existing, or if the ferrule is not in good shape.

You could also maybe rebuild the valve guts, I am not familiar with that brand.

You can just leave it alone, wide open.
Add one of these to the output end, then fit a new flex line to your fixture.
You should be able to buy this from local plumbing supply, big-box store, etc. made by various manufacturers, not just Eastman.

Retrofit Stop Valve
" 1/4-turn retrofit straight stop valve, this valve installs in between old valve outlet and supply line for a quick repair"

EDIT: Try to remember to turn even quarter-turn valves off-n-on once a year, will keep it/them from freezing up over the years.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies, guys. It is indeed a compression fit. And the valve itself is actually OK (though stiff); it turns out it was the innards of the plastic handle that was broken.

Now, I need to figure out how to get the faucet off...

Back