How do I fix leaking hot/cold water valves on my Jacuzzi tub?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ToddA

Reaction score
We have a 1990-vintage large Jacuzzi bathtub, and water is leaking up around the hot and cold water valves. I took the caps off, but I can't figure out how to take the valves apart to replace a cartridge or whatever these use. See the attached photos. Can anyone tell me how to take these apart to fix them, and what sorts of parts you need? I'm guessing they have some sort of cartridge like the sinks I've fixed, but I can't tell since I can't figure out how to get it apart. Thanks for your help.
valve knobs.jpgvalve1.jpgvalve 2.jpg

Turn your water off and use a thin deep tub socket wrench to reach down over the chrome nut that’s holding the cartridge in.

The stems look like Delta.

Thank you! I did not see that chrome nut way down there, because it was hidden by the leaking water. Time to buy myself a wrench and give it a try.

OK, I'm still stuck. Should I have to remove the black ring around the valve? It seems like the wrenches I can fit inside it are too small to fit the nut, and the larger ones don't fit inside the black ring.

I'm using a socket set just like that, which I bought at Lowes - the only difference appears to be that Lowes sells it under the Kobalt brand name. It seems like the smallest two sockets are too small for the nut, and all the others are too big on the outside to fit within the inner diameter of the black ring. That's why I asked if that black ring has to be removed (or if it even can - I'm not sure if it's a separate piece, like trim or water seal, or if it's an integrated part of the valve assembly.)

You’ll need to find a socket for it. I can’t help you.

I wanted to close this out by explaining how it was finally fixed - in case it's of help to someone else when they look at a similar problem. I bought a set of sockets like the ones GReynolds929 showed above, but none of them would fit - even though they are thin-wall sockets designed for faucets, they were too thick to fit in this case. I finally gave up and called a plumber, and he had a special socket that he used just for valves on Jacuzzi tubs, and with that socket he was able to unscrew the large nuts, replace the cartridges, and put it back together. The photo below shows the odd socket he used.
1665671343816.png

He probably made it. I’ve made tools for things over the yrs.

Back