How connect air to 1 inch union irrigation pipe

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikegp12

Reaction score
I have removed my backflow device for the winter and am installing unions for easy removal. Now I need to know how I can connect air compressor to the union (male end) for blow out. It is a 1 inch union.

I am trying to find a way to not blow through the backflow because I have had to replace the seals and gaskets twice in 4 years and suspect the air caused this.

image.jpg

Last edited:
If your piping is PVC for the irrigation, I installed a tee after my RPBA that has a shut off valve with a male threaded plug in it most of the year, i simple take the plug out put in a brass 1" x 3/8" bushing then I can connect directly to my air hose for my compressor. Allows me easy hook up, also if I want in the future gives me a place to add chemicals for say my lawn.

Now that you posted a pic in the other thread it's even easier put the union where it leaves the wall, unthread the assembly, take it out and screw on a 1" coupling then use your bushing to attach your air system.

Now that you posted a pic in the other thread it's even easier put the union where it leaves the wall, unthread the assembly, take it out and screw on a 1" coupling then use your bushing to attach your air system.

That is not a 1" pipe thread. It' where the nut that connects the two union halfs together. The size varies depending on manufacture. But in any case it isn't a standard pipe thread.

After all the time I have put into searching for the right fittings maybe I should just do this. I was hoping to avoid any extra soldering but winter is fast approaching.

FH11JUN_ADDFAU_03.JPG

After all the time I have put into searching for the right fittings maybe I should just do this. I was hoping to avoid any extra soldering but winter is fast approaching.

You can do that, but you would have to leave the backflow in place (or find another way to block the union you just installed) and shut the valve off to the backflow in order to blow your sprinkler system out. Just install that set-up on the piping on the backside of the backflow and shut the backflow backside valve off to blow out system and prevent air from flowing through backflow. Hope that makes sense.

Latest posts

Back