House Valve turning but not engaging

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwsmith1959

Reaction score
First of all...thanks for allowing me in and Howdy from the Gulf Coast of Texas.

The valve that is attached to the water supply of my house turns, but does not engage. The house is empty at the moment and during our last freeze, I turned the water off at the meter because I could not get this to work.

Can the guts be removed and replaced or do I need to change out the whole valve. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated. I am fairly handy, but am not as spry as I used to be.

I can get some more detailed pictures if needed.

Thanks in advance.

Joel

House Valve.jpg

Not a pro, so not sure of the correct terms, but would some kind of a drain fitting, or blow out fitting out there also be useful, to help drain and clear the lines during a freeze?

Not a pro, so not sure of the correct terms, but would some kind of a drain fitting, or blow out fitting out there also be useful, to help drain and clear the lines during a freeze?
I like to put those valves underground.

We pipe our water mains under the slab.

In Texas it seems they like to come out of the ground at the house and then put their stop valve then 90 into the house.

All above ground.

Dumbest thing I’ve ever seen to be honest on a house water main. But it’s all code approved.....🤣

Yes, why not run it one foot farther, and come up under a slab, crawlspace, or out the basement wall.
At least that would give short term protection during a freeze.
It would be in conditioned or at least casually heated space.
And easier to try to insulate, or heat tape etc, for short term protection.

Yes, with the shut off in a buried valve box, you would eliminate that exposed lower portion of the main, below the shut off.

Is there a ball valve that has that “stop and waste” drain feature?
Around here, I usually see a hose bibb type of valve or boiler drain plumbed close to the ball valve, to accomplish that.

Yes, with the shut off in a buried valve box, you would eliminate that exposed lower portion of the main, below the shut off.

Is there a ball valve that has that “stop and waste” drain feature?
Around here, I usually see a hose bibb type of valve or boiler drain plumbed close to the ball valve, to accomplish that.
Cant install a stop and waste underground it would contaminate the line.,

Very few basements here. We live on the gulf coast.,

Back