Hotel Hot/Cold Loop

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe_Joe

Reaction score
I have a 10-story hotel with circulating hot water. I need to replace a section of pipe in the wall in both the hot and cold. I have a shutoff for each on the 10th floor and the water flows down from there. Do I need to just shut those off and let it drain, or do I need to find the return loop valve as well and turn that off? Will it backflow on me normally?

Do you have riser valves in the basement for that section???????there is a dorm bld were I work it's 10 stories, the was a return valve on 10 but we're were also riser valves
For that section, if you not sure, shut off the hwh valve it off, valve off 10th fl and see if you still have pressure, also most blds that size would have valve charts,that would tell you what the different valves do were they are located and what size they are

Last edited:
Dealing with hotel plumbing can be a real puzzle, huh? When it comes to replacing those sections of pipe, shutting off the hot and cold water at the 10th floor sounds like a good start. You might want to check if there's a return loop valve, but often, just shutting off the main valves should do the trick.

Back