Hot water

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wheaties888

Reaction score
Ok, guys my shower chooses when to get hot. I’ve replaced everything from the mixing valve to the shower head. It’s a price pfister single handle and the anti scald ring is removed for now because I cannot get hot water all of the time on demand. It got hot for my wife to take a shower tonight. She turned the water off, stepped out and I came in literally 2 minutes after and it will not get even lukewarm. She had the whole place steaming. Sink next to it will get hot in seconds. I’m at a total loss.

Are you running a tankless or tank heater. If she took a shower and then you wanted one i'm not sure there is much hot water left unless she hopped in and then out.

It’s a 40gal tank. The sink next to it will run hot water while the shower stays cold. But in our other shower we can run my daughters baths and then both me and my wife take hot showers back to back to back and never run out of hot water.

when you removed the limit stop, the valve can turn to cold instead of hot
the limit stop ring has 3 numbers, 1,2,3 put the limit stop back in the valve set on 3

Well my wife got in and turned it up and it got hot and stayed hot and she wants it to burn her skin. (Not really but it’s stupid hot). But then I get in and it won’t even get lukewarm.

with out the limit stop, the handle has no way of knowing what you want.

after you reinstall the limit stop. then we can determine if it might be the cartridge or not

you are asking me to tell you what is wrong with the truck. when you have the choke not hooked up
my answer is hell i dunno. put it back together and we can go from there

You know what the solution is, don't you!!!!

with out the limit stop, the handle has no way of knowing what you want.

after you reinstall the limit stop. then we can determine if it might be the cartridge or not

you are asking me to tell you what is wrong with the truck. when you have the choke not hooked up
my answer is hell i dunno. put it back together and we can go from there

Limit stop back in place, got hot once. Came back a few minutes ago tried again, not even warm.

what model is the valve?

have you replaced the cartridge with the exact same one?
There are different cartridges. it needs to be the one for that valve

Yeah it’s just a price pfister mixing valve. I looked it over comparing for 5 minutes and made sure it was the same before putting the new one in. It did great for a few days after replacement but then all of a sudden lost pressure on the hot side. It got better so I thought it was just an air bubble or something. Now it just picks and chooses when it gets hot but the pressure is good

It might be the pressure balancing module, if your valve has one.

Post a picture of the cartridge and valve with the trim cover off.

There might be a separate pressure balancing module behind the cartridge.
Or you bought the wrong cartridge.
Post a pic of the old cartridge if you still have it.
Pros on here might know what your problem is.

There might be a separate pressure balancing module behind the cartridge.
Or you bought the wrong cartridge.
Post a pic of the old cartridge if you still have it.
Pros on here might know what your problem is.

I tossed the old one. I replaced it about 2 months ago. But I can say what happened to the old one cause I inspected it pretty good. All of the internal o rings were blown out the cracks. It appeared to be a sealed unit. I couldn’t get it apart, but the o rings were pushed through the cracks and had been for some time, as they were all conformed to the valve pipes. It only went in one way, as did the new one, so it couldn’t have been upside down. When I took the cartridge out it was just brass piping inside so unless something was hidden, this was the only thing inside.

Yeah it’s just a price pfister mixing valve. I looked it over comparing for 5 minutes and made sure it was the same before putting the new one in. It did great for a few days after replacement but then all of a sudden lost pressure on the hot side. It got better so I thought it was just an air bubble or something. Now it just picks and chooses when it gets hot but the pressure is good

pull the new cartridge
sounds like the o ring is cut
inspect the valve body inside for any defects/sharp edges

Frodo, you're amazing, in a really good way. Something had to change to make the shower mess up again, your idea makes perfect sense. Hopefully you're right.

pull the new cartridge
sounds like the o ring is cut
inspect the valve body inside for any defects/sharp edges

Gonna try to pull it this weekend if I can get my wife and kids to give me a few minutes with the water off 😅

Latest posts

Back