Hot water temp - 2 heaters, 2 stories

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agentd

Reaction score
I have a 2 story, 3500 sq ft home. 2 water heaters in the attic above the 2nd floor. I just bought the home and moved in, so it is new to me and I'm figuring things out.
One water heater looks like an older unit, water temp is set to the max of 150 degrees.
2nd water heater looks newer, and it has two "doors" that unscrew - inside each door is a temperature gauge. Both temps are set to approx 130 degrees.

The water temp on the 2nd floor is plenty hot. You don't have to be at max temp to take a nice hot shower.

The water on the ground floor is just barely hot enough. Setting the hottest possible temperature you can take a hot shower, but it's not as hot as I'd like. Washing dishes the water is hot - but could be hotter.
How can I get hotter water on the ground floor (without making the 2nd floor water scalding?) Do I need to replace the older heater (the one set to 150)? Should I increase the water temp on the newer heater? Or is it as good as it's going to get due to the distance from the heaters in the attic to the ground floor?

Thanks for the advice!

150° is way to hot, should around 130° someone (child) opening just the hot side of the faucet will get scalded usually the date of the hwh is on the hwh the elements could be on there way out if the heater is the ldwr maybe time for a new ine

It sounds like the limit stop on the first floor shower should be adjusted

I don't know how they are piped. I just moved in. I am not a plumber.

I thought that perhaps the limit stop on the shower was the issue, but the entire first floor is not hot enough. the kitchen sink, the bath faucets, etc. They are all "kinda hot" but not "really hot".

Back