Hot Water Tank Problem

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baley

Reaction score
I have well water and copper piping thruout the house. In Feb 2011 I had a new Richmond hot water tank installed. Shortly after I had hydrogen sulfide smell only in the hot water. I chlorinated the tank and eventially it returned. I replaced the magnesium anode with an aluminum anode and clorinated the tank again and all seemed okay for a while. Now I am getting dirty water when I first turn on the hot water then it clears. I inspected the aluminum anode and it is covered with dirty crystals. What is a solution to this problem?

Using a zinc anode may also help, though zinc anodes are about 90% aluminum. Reducing the amount of hydrogen gas in the tank and piping system will inhibit bacterial growth. Zinc and aluminum are less reactive than magnesium. When you flush your tank, try using a few pints of hydrogen peroxide. Oxygenating the water will help remove anaerobic bacteria. When you turn on your tank, flush the treated water through all of the pipes to clean them, too. Checking the temperature of the tank is also important. In my area, hot water tanks are required to be a minimum 120 degrees, maximum 140 degrees Ferenheit. I usually set my tank temps to 130 and any tempering valves in the house are adjusted to be between 110 and 120 degrees for anti-scald purposes. Temperatures maintained at 120 degrees and below could create an ideal breeding ground for certain bacterial that already exist in the water system.
Hope you find this info useful.

Back