Hot Water Tank Plastic Fittings

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where’s Halifax ?

The state will adopt a code here but the municipalities will add and delete.

And then you have the inspectors who attempt to make their own code. Those inspectors get dealt with swiftly.
OP's location says Halifax

Here in Central Maryland, just north of the D. C. line, we have the Washington Suburban Sanitary Comission, WSSC. They're actually pretty damn good and even have a number of amendments to the I. P. C. that are even more stringent.
If that bothers you, you should consider another career. A real plumbers primary job is to keep the community safe from water related problems. Even if you are a handyman here, it's a good idea to respect the codes and follow them as best you can.
If you are a newer plumber, and you have a local inspection system, go talk to them! They are not your enemy, you're actually on the same side!
Ask for guidance if you are unsure, at least around here WSSC is always happy to help. It did take me a couple of years before I realized that I could just call them and ask them questions, wish I'd known earlier.

Tim Whistler

I was completing a room addition and followed the inspector's every recommendation. In my final inspection, the typical inspector did not show up, but this time it was someone new. He made me change 4-5 different things because he felt that he was right and the other inspector was wrong. It cost me an additional $1000. I guess codes vary not only in different municipalities, but in the inspector's own minds.

Code can be difficult to interpret. Plus it's tough to get every aspect of it planned for in every way. But if you have a really good understanding of it your plan will evolve to fit the code.

Not knowing the code or planning to subvert it, puts you at a disadvantage. Your at someone else's mercy which can be frustrating.

I was completing a room addition and followed the inspector's every recommendation. In my final inspection, the typical inspector did not show up, but this time it was someone new. He made me change 4-5 different things because he felt that he was right and the other inspector was wrong. It cost me an additional $1000. I guess codes vary not only in different municipalities, but in the inspector's own minds.
Many inspectors and building inspectors are failed contractors.

So you’re not dealing with the best to begin with. They like to make up code here as they go.

Inspectors favorite line “ what we like “

My favorite response “ I’ll have my attorney call your chief “.

That usually lets them know what’s up....
It also doesn’t hurt to work for the best lawyers in the city, it’s nice to have access to great representation.

Back