Hot water sluggish

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fmkehoe

Reaction score
I just replaced my water heater with a 50 gallon Rheem heater. The hot water in the whole house now is sluggish, meaning it seems low on pressure. I checked all the aerators and cleaned them out of what little bit of silt was there. And it is still sluggish. What are the possibilities that the check valve in the heat trap is clogged or broken?
Another possibility, I sweated fittings one fitting away from the tank nipples. Could I have melted the plastic traps inside?

I just replaced my water heater with a 50 gallon Rheem heater. The hot water in the whole house now is sluggish, meaning it seems low on pressure. I checked all the aerators and cleaned them out of what little bit of silt was there. And it is still sluggish. What are the possibilities that the check valve in the heat trap is clogged or broken?
Another possibility, I sweated fittings one fitting away from the tank nipples. Could I have melted the plastic traps inside?
Did you wrap the nipples with a damp rag...... I would check them....open the drain and see what kind of pressure
You get open the drain and test your pressure there......it would act like an open pipe...no flow restriction

I usually sweat the adapters on a piece of copper then thread them on. If you didn't, it is very likely you melted the dielectric nipples/heat trap.

I usually sweat the adapters on a piece of copper then thread them on. If you didn't, it is very likely you melted the dielectric nipples/heat trap.
Yeah. I’m pretty sure that’s what I did, especially because it’s the first time I used lead free solder and heated the heck out of both sides.
well. I guess it’s off to home depot to get new die electric nipples and a dip tube.

Yup. Melted them to death.
new nipples in and pex for 2 feet in both hot and cold.
semi blocked - cold
Full blocked - hot
Dip tube in cold unharmed.
lesson learned .... sweat more than one fitting away from nipples.

Attachments

• 9CA0CBEF-C6D1-469D-8821-7E18898E966A.jpeg
    9CA0CBEF-C6D1-469D-8821-7E18898E966A.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 6
  • C917812B-2E8F-4BC4-AC9B-66EA041C6965.jpeg
    C917812B-2E8F-4BC4-AC9B-66EA041C6965.jpeg
    948 KB · Views: 6
Back