Hot water recirculation questions

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,
I've read through a couple threads here about HW recirculation. I have some questions about installing a system.

The house is all copper, though some is being replaced. There's 3/4" copper CW & HW in the crawl space along the length of the house ending at a 3 bathroom stack, all of which have 1/2" copper. The house has a main floor, a lower level, and a converted attic. The attic bathroom was abandoned but will be hooked up soon.

There's a 1/2" tee in the wall feeding HW to the sink and tub of the main, midlevel bathroom . The line runs down to the crawl space now and is capped.

The main/mid-level kitchen has 1/2" copper from the 3/4" lines. The plan is to tee off at the kitchen sink/dishwasher.

The 3/4" lines continues under the house about 10' to the HW heater and CW feed.
It's an old house and the lines are not laid out well. To say the least. The above is simplified but I hope it covers what's necessary.

I had planned on a loop from the bathrooms to the kitchen, but after reading through some threads I think a tee from the kitchen to the recirc pump is simpler? And hopefully easier.

I have a contractor doing some major sanitary work on the bathroom stack, and replacing/rerouting some of the copper. He hasn't done any recirculation work. I did the tee in the bathroom above, and redid some of the copper. But it's too much for me now.

What do I need? A recirc pump. A bridge? There's a pic ( Hot water recirculation? ) with a Grundfos pump and bridge posted by havasu. I'm not clear on how that works. I think there are also valves which will close when the return water gets hot? Should the CW feed to the HW heater have a check valve before the return feed from the pump? How is the pump turned on? Switches from the bathrooms and kitchen would be ideal. Are there pumps that work with wifi? At a reasonable price?

Thanks for any suggestions and ideas!

Riley

The Grundfos pump can be set to turn on at 15 minute intervals, obviously during the times you normally use hot water. I've had mine for 7 years, and works like a charm. You can also activate it with a light switch, motion activation, or push button. I keep things simple. I use the timer and take showers during that time.

This one is $199.99 at Home Depot, and what I installed 7 years ago. They are easy to install, and a cheap solution to get you quick hot water, instead of waiting 5 minutes for hot water, wasting all that water.

1664235274617.png

This kit will service one faucet. Obviously, depending on your water routing, if you install the temp control valve at the end of your plumbing line, it will give you nearly instant hot water with all taps on this line. You could purchase more temp control valves if you need them.

Just a note, I'm sure there are many systems similar to this one that work just as good. I am not endorsing this unit, nor are they paying me to promote their product, but as an end user myself, I know it has saved me hundreds of $ from wasted water.

I've installed a few of these and like havasu said they work good. You can set the timer on the pump to what
time you want it to come on and then off. Saves electric also. I always installed Grundfos.

No loops are needed. the temp valve will push the non-hot water into the cold line until it reaches somewhat hot water. The only downfall is your cold water faucet may have some tepid warm water for a few seconds before becoming cold water again. I love it in the winter because it stops teeth hurting cold water when brushing my teeth.

Actually, there are 96 settings. You have the option to activate the hot water "recirc" system 96 times a day...every 15 minutes, to all on, to all off, or like I do, to send hot water 6 times a day. At 7am, 8 am, 6pm, 7pm, 10pm and 11pm. Showers in the am, dinner dishes, and washing faces at night. Very versatile to what your family desires.

This one is $199.99 at Home Depot, and what I installed 7 years ago. They are easy to install, and a cheap solution to get you quick hot water, instead of waiting 5 minutes for hot water, wasting all that water.

View attachment 37191
I put this in last year for a basement wash sink, I come into the house this way all the time (walk out basement) . The majority of time , I m just using the cold water which is enough warm water to wash your hands . Grandkids love it because they don’t get scalding water , just instant warm or when using the hot side, you will get warm water ramping up to hot , plenty of time to adjust temperature.

That’s versatile! Thank you.
For about $50-$60 you can add Grundfos 595444 or 595657 3/4-Inch Clip-On Aquastat Control, sold on Amazon and many plumbing sites, and set up your timer "ON" say 6AM till 10PM, and got pump tripped by the switch. I recommend higher temperate range. eg. 105-115F.

You have to mount it on the hot side of the water heater. Look up Grundfos Circulating systems. There
is one video showing you exactly how to install it.

Back