HOT water problem

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know how to do all that. The plumbing company doesn't want to work with me anymore.

Rheem has agreed to replace the water heater now. Given that the heater is the same model and size, I imagine that I could do the swap myself. I'm fairly handy and have lots of tools. Please let me know if you think this idea is ridiculous.

Thanks again for all the help.

Sure, replace the water heater if they’ll give you one. When you do, verify the cold water pipe and of course connect it to your cold inlet of the new heater.

Verify there is no flow out of the hot piping during the swap.

One time i had a hot water tank that could not produce hot water, everybody changed everything. to no avail. we took apart both top water connections, and guess what we found.
Not one but two drop tubes , one in each connection.
go figure

If there going to give you a new water heater I would replace it and then that would eliminate the water out of the
equation. After replacing water heater I would strap up the expansion tank to the joist. That wouldn't pass inspection
here.

I got my new water heater - not installed yet. I pulled the dip tube out of the old one and it looked fine to me. No visible damage or deterioration. I was surprised that it only went about 2/3 of the way down the tank, but it definitely didn't appear broken. I'm going broke here so I am going to try installing it myself. Wish me luck! I'll post again once I have an update.

OK - update... I installed the water heater - no gas leaks and at least no water leaks on the inlet (so far). I haven't tried to light it yet. This is probably a stupid question, but I don't see a power cord anywhere or any place to wire a connection. Also, the manual says nothing about electric connection. I don't have a pump on the heater, so it would seem the only reason it would require electric is for the gas control valve and status light. I just don't understand how the status lights could function without electricity. Enlighten me, please.

Thanks,
Brian

Update - I fired it up and, get this - I HAVE HOT WATER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you all so much for the help and just talking through things. That is a huge weight off my shoulders and I'm gonna go take a hot shower.

You probably have a standing pilot with a thermocouple. the flame on the thermocouple generates small amount of electric energy enough to open the gas valve . the valve is normally closed so if anything goes wrong it snaps shut.

Latest posts

Back