Hot water pressure

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajc640

Reaction score
About a month ago, my hot water started to not last as long as it used to, my water heater is about 9.5 years old, I think its going bad. A few days after I noticed the hot water not lasting as long, while in the shower, I heard a weird noise, like a thump, and the water pressure dropped significantly in the shower. It has never returned. I tested the pressure at the laundry tub, which is the fixture right before the tub in the water line runs, and it was over 60 psi. I then replaced the shower head, cartridge, and spout/diverter, and shutoff valves behind the access panel in the other room (the old gate valves started leaking once I shut them off and turned them back on, so I put new ball valves in). Still crappy pressure. I then tried flushing the valve by taking the cartridge out and turning the cold water on, then turning the hot water on. I discovered that the cold water shoots out like a fire hydrant, soaked the entire bathroom, but the hot water does not have as much pressure. Since it is only affecting the shower, I'm guessing that there must be a clog in the line going to the shower, or something is wrong with the valve box itself. Pipes are copper pipes. shower fixtures are delta monitor series 1700. Valve box is delta univeral rough in valve r10000-unbx. I read that the dip tube in the water heater could break up and pieces travel through pipes. could a piece of the dip tube be the culprit? Does anyone have any input or suggestions of what I can do?

we have had this question a couple of times recently It was suggested to remove the shower head hook up an air compressor to it with the cartridge out blow air thru it...even try a wet vac on ythe water inlets

It just sucks because the valve is pressure balancing so it’s affecting my whole shower experience

you said you have ball valves tha isolate the shower can you cut in a couple of tees/ball valves and adapters...that way there will always be blow out connections

you said you have ball valves tha isolate the shower can you cut in a couple of tees/ball valves and adapters...that way there will always be blow out connections
Never thought of that. I might just do that.

I put in a brand new cartridge. When I tried flushing it, the hot waterways coming out half as fast as the cold. So it’s in the line or the valve.
can you valve it off fill it with vinegar and let it sit or try to stick something down there to loosen what ever it is up maybe a brazing rod????.have you tried to vac it out/????

Back