Hot Water Issue

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter_SA

Reaction score
So I have an issue with the Master bathroom and maintaining hot water in my shower. The bath tub us seperate and outputs hot water at a steady flow. The shower is a different story and will only put out decent hot water when the handle is all the way to the max hot for a short period. I've replaced the valve in the shower that regulates the temp, have a recently new water heater in, and cannot figure out why my shower is doing this. Can some one please potentially point me in the right direction?

Which valve have you replaced? What is the brand of that valve?

Moen rough in valves have integral stops on both the hot and cold that you can get to by removing the 6 inch round trim piece behind the handle. Possibly your hot is not fully open. Also, with a Moen valve. There is a temperature limiter below the handle, consisting of two plastic rings with gear like teeth that are easily adjusted. I am not sure if either is your problem, but I thought I would suggest a couple of things to try.

Which valve have you replaced? What is the brand of that valve?

Moen rough in valves have integral stops on both the hot and cold that you can get to by removing the 6 inch round trim piece behind the handle. Possibly your hot is not fully open. Also, with a Moen valve. There is a temperature limiter below the handle, consisting of two plastic rings with gear like teeth that are easily adjusted. I am not sure if either is your problem, but I thought I would suggest a couple of things to try.

I believe it was a Moen. I got it from Lowes a couple months ago. I made sure that the hot was fully open but not aware of the two plastic rings.

If you remove the handle, under it will be two interlocking plastic rings. To get full hot, the square shoulders of both rings should be in the 12 o"clock position. Let me know if that solves your problem.

Also, the hot valve being fully open is NOT the valve on the pipe in the wall. The valve I am referring to is on the body of the rough in valve, and looks like a large slotted screw head.
I believe it was a Moen. I got it from Lowes a couple months ago. I made sure that the hot was fully open but not aware of the two plastic rings.

If you remove the handle, under it will be two interlocking plastic rings. To get full hot, the square shoulders of both rings should be in the 12 o"clock position. Let me know if that solves your problem.

Copy that. I will take a look at that and let you know. Thanks for the help!

The rough in valves that lowes and home depot sell do not have on/off valves. They are the non code compliant version with no valves

Thanks, I never knew that. I always get my plumbing supplies from a plumbing supply house rather than Home Depot or Lowe's.
The rough in valves that lowes and home depot sell do not have on/off valves. They are the non code compliant version with no valves

If you call Moen, they will send you a new cartridge for free. They have a lifetime guarantee.

Will do, but spoke to a plumber and they think that it might be the valve connecting to the cartridge/handle. Potentially not letting hot water through.

You could test the plumbers theory by removing the cartridge, and then opening the valves behind the wall to see if water comes out. Try hot first, and then try both. Some Moen valves are pressure balancing, and hot will not come out unless the cold valve is also open.

Latest posts

Back