Hot water heater question

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ConsiderThis

Reaction score
Hi, I got solar a few years ago. I stopped using public utilities, so I don't have hot water in my hot water heater.

That said, the heater started to leak and I had it disconnected and I drained it... but it's still leaking.

What I want to know is: are the hot water pipes connected in such a way that even if the hot water heater isn't connected where water runs into it from the outside pipes, water still runs into it from the pipes that fill with cold water???

I may not be asking this very clearly.

I was going to have the hot water heater taken out, and the outgoing pipe sealed... but now I'm afraid to do that because maybe that outgoing pipe allows water from the overall pipes to flow backwards into the tank...????

HELP????

I may not be asking this very clearly. HELP????

That is an understatement. I'm confused as to which type of solar water heater you have. Is it a passive system? Most passive solar systems work in conjunction with your original water heater, but are used to heat the water before it enters the tank. This solar system saves you energy because you might only have to heat the water 20 degrees instead of the normal 60 degrees for no solar system. The tank is then a source of hot water to distribute thru your pipes.

If your tank was leaking after you had it drained and disconnected, there would be no way you could continue to have a leak, unless they failed to disconnect both the cold "in" line and the "hot" out lines, and capped both sides.

Is it your intent to run only the solar water directly to the hot water pipes? If so, you will only have limited hot water, and the "hot" out line from the solar unit must be connected directly to your "hot" out line where the water heater was installed. This way, you would have a completely closed circuit, and no chance of leaking.

If your tank had developed a leak, the best solution would be to replace it as your hot water storage, but if you want to run free from either gas or electricity, just shut off the circuit breaker if electric, or close off your gas supply valve.

I hope I've helped you and not confused you further.

Ah... I see.

I don't have a solar hot water heater. I simply have my old water heater...

I heat my water during the winter over a candle Or several candles. During the summer I use a 100' drinking water safe hose in the sun...

So, the heater is left over.

Does that help?

I, too, felt there could be no way it could continue to leak once the ingoing water pipe was disconnected. I continued to believe that in the face of evidence to the contrary until I had several yards of wet Saltillo...

I think the water must be coming from the pipe that used to carry water FROM the hot water heater...

Shop Whirlpool 24"L Flex Water Line at Lowes.com heater supply line&Ntk=i_products&pl=1&currentURL=/pl__0__s?newSearch=true$Ntt=water heater supply line$y=9$x=16

OK, I understand now. Yes, you must close the circuit. Just remove the water heater and purchase a supply line similar to what is pictured above, connect it to the existing water heater inlets and outlets, and you should be good to go!

Oh. Yes. Those are pretty neat looking. Thank you.

So then you're saying that somehow the pipes are linked and even though water isn't going into the heater from the mains, it's backing up or something from the pipes...

For instance, I leave the hot water faucet open in the bathroom, so that water doesn't stay in the pipes... and after I wash my hands using the cold water, which is fresh and coming in from the mains, I turn off the cold water and water continues to run... so I'm thinking that each time I turn on the cold water it fills a certain amount of hot water piping....

About how much hot water piping is there, do you think?

Okay... So, my heater has one of those copper, flex pipes on the outgoing side now... Can I disconnect it from the heater (which I'm not using) and then get one of those plug ends and screw it on???? And it won't hurt anything?

I think the reason I'm scared is that when I had a pinhole leak in one of those pipes (which has long since been mended) I was shutting off the water so that the leak would stop. But then I was outside and there was this terrible banging noise and I thought my neighbor was building... but it was coming from my heater... so that scared me... I never shut off the water to the house and the heater again... except that I had the heater disconnected.

(I fell and hit my head and I have a bit of brain injury... I can't talk as well as I can write... which gives you some idea of the huge problem I have. My website is about vitamin B12 because nerves must have it to be healthy. I wouldn't have fallen if I hadn't lost the feeling in my feet ... If I'd had enough B12 I wouldn't have lost the feeling...)

You should have about the same length of hot water pipes as you do cold water pipes. By using a flex line at the water heater, you will receive cold water from both the cold and hot valves. Also, some mixing valves can force water backwards "out" the hot water valve, and this is why you have water discharge at the tank pipes.

I don't know where you live or how hot it gets there, but I also shut off my water heater at my Lake Havasu house in the summer. The water heater is in the garage, where temperatures often reach 120 degrees, and all the cold water becomes very warm sitting in the water heater. We always have a nice, warm shower after being on the lake all day, with no energy usage at all! Yeppers, I'm doing my part in reducing my energy footprint, until I fire up my boat that gets about 4 gallons per mile! :p

Regarding your B-12 usage, is it possible that you have neuropathy as a result of diabetes? You should go to a doctor and get tested!

Last edited:
Back