Hot Water Heater Install

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ttodd

Reaction score
Hi all,
This is a first post for me and hopefully I'm pulling this off correctly with attaching the pictures.

Wanted to get some feedback on a recent hot water installed by a professional plumber. Previously I had an old 80 gallon hot water heater in place (taller), and there was no expansion tank. I asked for a 50 gallon heater since we just no longer need anything so big as that 80-gallon.

Was kinda surprised that they did not go with a tall heater. And I was even more surprised to see that they did not use copper to complete the connection.

What are your thoughts on this installation? Is this something that should be expected? Or would I be justified in being less than satisfied with this install?

Thanks in advance!

Get a new plumber. He/she used Sharlbites for their connections, which may be OK, except they have the expansion tank weight pulling down on a Sharkbite tee, which is asking for trouble.
Expansion tanks should not be installed horizontally, although it may be acceptable if it is separately supported, such as with pipe strapping (why don't they read the installation instructions?). What is that black stuff supporting the expansion tank? Is it electrical tape? Gorilla tape? EDPM rubber? That does not appear to be a satisfactory way to support the tank.
The CPVC on the relief valve is a no-no. It must be copper. Why did they use the short length of CPVC off of the tee? Is it all that they had?
Good workmanship would put the heater up on CMUs (concrete masonry units) such as hollow core or patio blocks, to facilitate drainage of the tank and to minimize water sitting under the tank and rusting it out.
Make sure that the electric cable is 10/2 and not 12/2.

@fixitron - Thanks so much for your feedback.

This is at a rental house that I own, so I am relying on pictures that the tenant sent me.

The "strapping used to hold the tank up appears to be some rubber strapping with pre-punched holes. It does not appear to be the woven strapping because I could see pre-punched holes. I know at my house that any kind of strapping being used is a metal strapping . If this were inspected, would it pass with that?

Is it reasonable for me to request that they:
1) Replace the strapping on that expansion tank with Steel strapping?
2) Replace the current configuration (Copper -> sharkbite fitting -> CPVC -> SharkBite -> Braided steel) for both Hot and Cold side. Assuming so - how would you suggest that be configured
3) Replace the CPVC on the pressure relief with Copper
Anything else??

I really appreciate your help on this!

Yes, they should replace the strapping with steel strapping (the rubber can stretch), but note that the install instructions state to install vertically only. They do not state that you can install it horizontally if supported by the tank. Leave the connections alone- you would get into a pissing match about that. Definitely replace the CPVC on the relief valve with copper. They should not charge anything additional for those changes.
If they give you any pushback and they are licensed, consider filing a complaint with the licensing board.

Back