Hot or Cold position.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rms59

Reaction score
I have a MOEN Model # 87014SRS kitchen faucet that has a single lever on the right side as shown in this link.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/MOEN-Es...n-in-Spot-Resist-Stainless-87014SRS/206069195

When facing the sink the lever positions are toward the faucet as OFF, pulled away from the faucet as ON, and then rotated forward and backward to change temperature.

My question is this.... With the lever vertical (as shown in the link) should that be HOT or COLD? I have it as cold but am told this is wrong.

Richard

I have a very similar Moen faucet in my kitchen. When the handle is in the vertical position, the water is hot, and in the horizontal position, cold. I believe that is the correct setup. If yours is opposite, the simplest way to change it is to switch the flex lines under the sink.

I have a very similar Moen faucet in my kitchen. When the handle is in the vertical position, the water is hot, and in the horizontal position, cold. I believe that is the correct setup. If yours is opposite, the simplest way to change it is to switch the flex lines under the sink.

Thanks very much for the reply. You've verified what my friend was telling me so I will swap the flex lines.
Richard

....or, just accept the way it works now. I can never remember which way these oddball faucets work, so it really doesn't matter to me.

I didn't want to complicate the answer earlier, but I just finished a bathroom rehab at my own house. I bought a Moen vanity faucet that is essentially a smaller version of what both of us have used in our kitchens. In any case, on the vanity faucet, hot is when the handle is in the vertical position, and cold is when the handle is in the horizontal position. I checked to make sure that the flex lines were on the correct valves, and they were!!! I am thinking I should ask Moen why the two faucets operate differently.

When the faucet is not in use the vertical position looks more appealing and cleaner than when its down and horizontal. It just looks nicer, as if it was the normal position. Even in all the store packaging and images it always shows it vertical. In my house, when someone is done with hot water they turn to cold for a few seconds before shutting it off so as not to scald the next person so the vertical position is what it was always in.

As I thought about it, I can see a possible safety issue having it against the "norm". This is just a wild guess but If a child pulls up a stool and attempts to reach the faucet to get a drink of water, the natural tendency (and easier) is to pull the handle forward before turning it on which could deliver scalding water. Pushing back would be a little more difficult if they could barely reach it in the first place.

I'm just going to bite the bullet and swap lines (a few minutes of work) to keep it in the norm. Thanks to all for the input.

Richard

Back