Hot/cold crossover

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homedude123

Reaction score
I have a hot/cold plumbing crossover issues and would love to get your expert help in identifying and solving.

I was getting some warm water out of cold faucets right after I turn on the cold water, which would gradually turn back to cold. Suspecting a crossover, I wanted to run through a diagnosis steps i found on this forum.

I shut off cold water supply to my heater, and turned on a hot water faucet in a bathroom which had separate cold and hot knobs. Water was running hot for a while and turned cold and continued running. Flow of water pressure wasnt different at all. It didnt slow and same as cold side.

i remembered this issue was more noticeable in the master bathroom. Like super hot water would come out of cold faucet in the master bath and warm water everywhere else.

We only recently started having this issue which may suggest something that failed recently. I do have single mix faucets in showers but given the hot water faucet flow didnt even slow at all, i suspected something else.

Can you guys take a look at my master bathroom hot tub plumbing (Attached) and see if this could be an issue?

Basically as far as I can see,
1) hot and cold service line gets attached to each side of this “mixing valve”. Cold line has a T that goes to the cold control knob. Hot water doesnt have a T but a “mixed” red line in the picture routes to the hot control knob. How does this mixer thing work and is there a way to test/ fix this?

in the other picture, you can see cold water from T and mixed red goes to knobs and flows down to a W shaped mixer and sends water to faucet.

any help is much appreciated!
Thanks!

Attachments

• 468F51AE-E8B6-426A-AC3C-81F46AEE7858.jpeg
    468F51AE-E8B6-426A-AC3C-81F46AEE7858.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 14
  • C3248EB3-B5BD-44EA-9B8C-E5D833B963F2.jpeg
    C3248EB3-B5BD-44EA-9B8C-E5D833B963F2.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
The mixing valve is probably the issue. It probably has internal checks that are not working.
Get the model number off of it and let’s loook it up

Honeywell AM-1 series.
Is there anything easy i can do to bypass this? Like change the setting so it turns off mixing feature? I dont really need this function.

Could you take a picture showing all the piping ?

I don’t think that valve is proper for the application it’s being used for. The instructions state it’s not to be used where the tempered water will be blended with cold at the fixture.

It’s most likely plumbing code required that you have anti scald protection at the tub.

Its really a tight space for me to get into. And those are the best pics i could take. I described the plumbing further in my original posting. Can you tell me what part u want to see? I cant take a picture of whole thing given tight spacing

also, is there some way to definitively identify this mixing valve as the issue? Should i feel around the cold water feeding this and see if it gets hot?

edit: Just confirmed this. Cold water inlet side of this mixing valve is hot.

Last edited:
Just throwing darts at your issue, but by chance do you have a recirculator pump installed?

The arrows should point toward the mixing valve when installed.

So according to this dude, theres a version with check valve built in.
Just cant find which one i have to buy for my application…

Around 2:20 in this video

Is this mixing valve easy to remove and clean out without cutting pex crimp?

Back