Hot and Cold Moen Cartridges

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CanJim

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me the difference between the hot and cold cartridges from Moen. I just installed a cold cartridge, Waltec 76101 M0035, into the hot supply line to my shower (and no, the water still runs hot). I do notice however that it turns on the wrong way. Instead of on being anti-clockwise, it's now clockwise. I'm anticipating that this is not right as when you turn it off it would tend to unscrew the cartridge itself. Okay the cartridge is tight but over time it might loosen. Also, this confuses my wife.

Huh, not sure how i missed this post, sorry

Anyways, just to be clear the cartridge you installed is a Waltec, for a Waltec brand faucet. It was probably in a moen package because moen is simply a repackager of various repair parts which come from the same factories as BrassCraft or PlumPack, the other two big parts suppliers you will see around Ontario. I'm guessing you got it at the large orange store where nobody knows anything.

The difference, as you have already noted, is that the Waltec cold cartridge turns in the wrong direction for the hot side of the valve which may cause the stem to come unscrewed.....not a great thing.

What you need is a Waltec 96100 or 76100 which, if I remember correctly, are moen model numbers M0059 or M0034 respectively. I haven't sold the M-line series for a couple of years, so those model numbers may be off but I don't think so.

Thanks, I'm glad I wasn't dreaming about this problem, minor though it is. Yes Big Orange wasn't much help but now I have the right right version installed.

Thanks again

If you have the time, take a look at your old cartridge (specifically the washer on the bottom). If that washer is all chewed up or worn really thin then you may have ground down the seat inside the faucet (older waltecs used really soft brass). If you find your new cartridge only lasts a short time before it needs replacing you should also replace the seat.

The old washer is not too bad although I've had to replace it a few times. I did grind the seat and that seemed to help. The reason I had to change the cartridge is that the thread on the stem had completely worn out so that's where the soft brass happened in this case. Big panic when the wife couldn't turn off the shower.

Back